2 | surprise

I have to hide my car as I park down Clay's street. I don't want to risk him seeing me before I show up. The drive was a long two hours, but I can safely see he's still streaming just by checking my Twitch.

I hop out of my car with my cupcakes and bag and walk up to his front door. I look around, checking the place out. He just moved in a couple months ago. I've seen most of it on FaceTime, but I've never been in person. I'm surprised when the door swings open before I can even try sneaking in with the spare key. I'm even more surprised to see it's his mom who answers. She grins as she sees me.

"Now, what are you doing here? I'll go get Clay—" She says starting to turn.

"Wait!" I flap my hand to get her attention. "I want to surprise him." I say, stepping in.

"Have it your way, then." She says, moving back to give me room.

"You're visiting him too?" I ask with a laugh.

She shrugs. "I was actually almost out the door, I came by to bring Clay dinner and ended up caught in a whirlwind of tidying up after I saw his kitchen."

I nod as a response, a little embarrassed to have been caught showing up like this. "Well. You know where to sit!" She chirps, and disappears back into the kitchen.

I sit down on a couch in the living room, drawing my knees up to my chest. I pull out my phone and start scrolling social media to pass the time. Clay will probably be down to get food, soon. I wonder if he'll even notice me sitting here. Either way, I'm not going to go up there and interrupt his stream.

After a few more minutes his mom walks back out, holding a bag of her own.

"Good night!" She says to me, waving her way out the door. "You kids have fun."

"G'nite ma'am!" I say in response, watching her go.

I get back on my phone and stay on social media until I hear the thud of footsteps coming down the stairs. I turn to look, exhaling softly when Clay rounds the corner and enters the living room.

He's holding his own phone, typing out texts, and doesn't look up to see me. I watch his back as he disappears into the kitchen.

"Ma, you leave?" I hear him call out from the other room, responded to with only silence. It's so hard to not laugh and reveal myself.

Clay comes back out of his kitchen with a pop tart hanging out of his mouth, pulling his shirt off. I can't help that I squawk. He immediately pulls his shirt back on as his head snaps toward me.

There's a moment of charged silence where he just stares at me in surprise. His pop tart breaks, and falls out of his mouth to the floor. It pulls him out of his initial shock and he cracks into a big smile.

"What the fuck are you doing here?!" He asks, all excitement. He bends over to lift his ruined pop tart and toss it before he strides toward me.

I force myself to look confused and lift my shitty cupcakes. "I said bet." I say.

Clay laughs, leaning over the back of his couch to cuff the back of my head. "You're so stupid." He says, reaching for a cupcake. He stays smiling as he starts eating it, and I feel myself start to get flustered.

"Any good?" I ask.

"No. They're terrible." He says, then shoves the rest of it in his mouth. I take it seriously for just a second, then see the quirk in the corner of his mouth.

I decide I'll play back. "That's not really surprising, I dropped all of them on the floor." I say, pursing my lips.

Clay grins, looking a bit maniacal with a mouth full of cupcake. "Ev'n better!" He says, grabbing another.