24 | face to face

The second I'm in Clay's room I slam myself down in his bed, wrapping up. I feel safer under the blankets like this. He laughs the second he sees me, shaking his head and sitting at his desk.

I zone out, hearing the click of his keyboard, getting back into my head again. Usually I'd watch him play, but everything is making me feel overwhelmed right now.

"Can you even see it like that?" Clay asks, turning his head to glance at me.

I nod. "Yeah."

He lifts his brows, staring me down, then tabs. "What biome was I in?" He asks.

I bite my lip. Oops. "Um..." I start. I'm just going to have to guess. "Grassland?" I try.

He tabs back, and it's a jungle. Shit.

"So I wasn't looking, actually." I admit.

Clay's lips twitch. "No shit." He shrugs, sitting back in his seat. "I don't want you to be bored... you sure you don't wanna play?" He asks again.

I shake my head, then hide my face in his pillows.

Clay sighs, fingers tapping against his desk. I can tell he's starting to catch on that something still isn't quite right, but I don't know if he'll address it. He gives me another searching look that I falter under. After a moment he turns.

"C'mere." He says, patting his thigh.

I feel my breath hitch. "Why?" I ask.

Clay makes a face. "You'll see shit better from my lap. Now c'mere."

I know I can't say no, despite the mood I'm in, so I swing back to my feet. I walk over, delicately lowering myself in his lap, squirming awkwardly to settle in.

Clay lets out a pleased noise, and turns back in toward his computer. I sigh, turning with him. I should probably just relax and watch, rather than live inside of my head all day.

He logs into the SMP, and starts talking the second he spawns.

"The fuck is going on in your head right now?" He asks, voice tight.

I look up at his face, seeing it's focused, watching the screen as he runs and jumps, doing not much. I realize it's filler, a distraction so he can ask tough questions.

I grit my teeth. I just need to do this.

"Nothing." spills out of my mouth before I can collect myself and actually say what I wanted.

Clay grunts, immediately missing a jump. "Okay. If that's what you want to say." He says, voice low. "But, I can tell something is up. It would help to know what."

I bite my lip. I don't even know what I'd say. Date me or I'm about to leave and go home right now? I'm big in love with you? You make my heart beat hard enough to hurt because I'm that invested?

Before I can say anything else he gets a call from Sapnap.

"You should answer." I mumble, as Clay declines it.

He immediately calls again. Clay groans in frustration and answers this time, grabbing his headphones.

"What? I'm with my girl." He says, sounding irritated.

It makes my breath hitch to hear him say that again. His girl.

I hear a muffled voice, before Clay groans again, and pulls his headset off, putting it on me before I can react, then going back to running. I squeak in surprise.

"Hey." Sap starts, "Did he give me over to you?"

"Uhh— Yeah. Hey." I say back.

Sap immediately starts laughing. "What is his dumb ass doing on Minecraft when you're over?" He asks.