baby it ain't nothing new

We haven't moved since we got back in bed. We're still tangled up, hands exploratory and soothing, touching to touch. Patches joined us after a bit, landing herself on Clay's back and curling up there.

"Would you rather have super strength, or super speed?" I ask, unprompted.

Clay hums where he's buried in my neck. "Speed seems more practical."

I consider that, soothing my hands down the back of his head. "Yeah... but consider this... strength would be sick as hell. Imagine getting in a fight with someone and just like, throwing a car at them. What're you gonna do with speed? Run away?"

Clay's laughs, brief, shaking Patches who lifts her head to glare. "You could just use the velocity of the speed to hit them really hard with something going super fast. You could be the car."

"Oh, that— that makes sense..." I pause to twirl his hair between my fingers. "That's why you're the smart one and I'm the..." I pause, lips twitching. "Funny one."

He chuckles, shaking his head. "Sure you are." He says, teasing.

Before I can speak again, Clay lifts his head, resting his chin on me, staring up at my face.

"Remember when I first stared fuckin' you?" He asks.

I blink, brows lifting. "Yeah...?" I hesitate before continuing. "What? You think I'd forget getting my pussy ate so good at 3 am I saw God?"

Clay's face scrunches up. "I was trying to have a moment."

"Oh—" I bite my lip to stifle a laugh. "Then, yes dear, I remember, I could never forget a night so magical."

"Fuck off." Clay grumbles, but continues. "I remember saying some shit like 'if you think I'd ever let our friendship get ruined, you're wrong' and I think that's funny now."

"Why's that funny?" I ask, lifting a knee to sway my leg.

"Ah, well. I was fucking lying." He says, then laughs, it's enough that Patches chirps, hopping off of him. "I hope I'm never your friend again."

I return with a laugh, and we briefly meet eyes. It makes his expression go soft. There's a heaviness in the words we're gearing up to say, but my eyes catch. In the grey evening light, through the window, I can see that it's snowing.

I squeeze Clay with my thighs. "It's snowing." I coo.

He turns to look, brief, before turning back and pressing a kiss to my chest. "C'mon. Let's go. I have a mission to complete."

I smile, heart thumping. It's finally time. We've been dating the past couple months, undeniably, but it's time to go make this official, finish the plan Clay had ages ago.

He lifts off of me, shuffling through our clothes to separate them into mine and his, then quickly gets dressed. I crawl out of bed to do the same, taking much longer due to the fact that I have to deal with slightly trembling legs.

I keep his shirt, so he just slips on his hoodie. We simultaneously jump to get into our sweats, and share a laugh. It's quick after that, us scrambling to get our shoes on and get out the door. I yelp as I feel the cold, continuously caught off guard by how sharp it is.

Clay's quick, plastering himself to my back and covering both of my hands with his own.

"I've got you." He mumbles, pressing a kiss to the back of my head.

I nod, words choked, looking up and smiling. The snow that's falling is heavy, wet, melting the second it contacts my skin. Clay wraps me tighter, tugging me away from the cabin. We get some distance, then he squeezes me.