41 | glassy eyed

I lean forward, turning up the radio. I gave Ellie aux. She only put on one song, but her phone kept auto playing music. I'm trying my hardest to not shout sing along with it. I'm feeling a bit loopy and bored from the amount of time spent in this car.

I had to drive about an hour south to get to Ellie's home town. I found her seated on a public bench with absolutely nothing, no luggage. She hopped in, put on some music, scream sobbed, and quickly passed out. Which, I understand. I did the exact same thing today. So, essentially, I've made the drive alone. And I still have no clue what went down.

I yawn, probably because I only slept four hours last night, despite my cry nap. I glance in my mirror then merge to take my exit. At least this drive will be over soon, all four hours of it.

It's not long before I get us home. I reach over to shake Ellie awake as we pull into our parking lot. She briefly startles, flinching away from me before she turns toward me. I notice that during the drive she has... developed a bruise on her cheekbone. It makes my stomach go tight.

"We're here." I say quick, so that I don't ask about the bruise.

Ellie nods, clearly groggy, then shivers her way through a stretch. She hops out the second I've parked, snagging my keys and essentially bolting inside. I take a bit longer, having to grab my bag before I can follow her. I briefly consider going back down to Orlando tomorrow for just the weekend, and spending the time with Clay I was supposed to spend.

I don't see Ellie as I walk into our apartment. I head with my bag to drop it off in my room, startling when I see that she's already in my room, in my bed.

"Is it okay if I stay in here? I really don't want to be alone right now." Ellie asks, small and quiet.

I nod, fervent. "Yeah, of course." Well... maybe I won't be going anywhere.

My stomach is upset with concern, brow drawn tight enough to hurt as I glance at her. I debate for only a second before I'm climbing into bed, on top of her, wrapping her tight. I don't expect the way she just... crumbles, melting in my hold and shivering right back into a sob. I hold her through it, soothing her as much as I can.

Finally, she takes a heavy breath. "It's just so stupid..." She starts, through her sobs. "So fucking stupid."

I soothe her again. "What's stupid? What happened?" I question.

She shudders through another sob, then finally speaks. Her voice is... quiet, almost hesitant. "So like... it's— my sister's husband, Mark, right?"

I mhm, encouraging her.

"God it's just so stupid— I don't know. I don't even remember. We were just— eating our Thanksgiving meal and suddenly he's going off on some bullshit that was obviously bullshit so I call him out on it— and he just flips. And it escalates, and escalates, until we're just— yelling at each other. Which— that's fine, that happens. Arguments happen."

Ellie takes another breath and I nod, trying to be as encouraging as I can. "But then this... asshole started flashing his concealed carry and saying shit like 'I could end this argument right quick'. Like what? What? You gonna shoot me at the dinner table over a disagreement?"

My mouth is parted in surprise, at a total loss for anything I could say that could make any portion of that feel okay. Instead, I squeeze harder, just trying to reassure her in any way I can. She seems to understand, just barely flashing a smile.

"And like... obviously he's wrong in that situation, right?"

"Right." I say back, nodding.

"Right." She continues. "But my family, man. It was all 'well don't antagonize him', 'just apologize so we can eat' and I got so angry and things kept escalating and then he actually pulls the gun and now it's a screaming match and I'm jumping on his ass trying to get the gun out of his hands and I grab it and he punches me and takes it back. So I'm like... bye! I'm not sticking around for this. And I get all the way outside and he actually shoots my tire and fuck man." She lets out a shuddered breath, body trembling in my arms.