Perfection

Stella

Stella

I sat across a man who looked to be nearing seventy, his white hair thinning at the top and the wrinkles in his face were hard while he looked to me.

Why did I agree to having a session with the family therapist?

Right... Lorenzo asked and I said yes.

"How have you been transitioning into your relationship with Maximus, the mafia and being pregnant?" Mr. Jones asked, going straight to the point.

I shrugged. "It's been a transition, trying not to think too much on it and focus on getting to know Max and being a parent. When I spend time with his family I focus on them being a family and not mafia."

He tilted his head, taking a moment to process my words. "What is your view on perfection?"

"Perfection?" I repeated. "It's pretty in nature like sunflowers, snowflakes..."

"What about in humans?" He asked. "Can people be perfect?"

I shook my head. "Of course not.

"What if you met someone who seemed perfect." He countered.

I shrugged. "I'd enjoy it till I found their imperfections. If they don't have any then I would think they were fake. No one is perfect, and it isn't wrong to be imperfect."

The pen in his hand tapped over his knee. "Yet from what I hear you are perfect. You're a beautiful woman. You support Maximus. Well behaved. Already accepting your role in the family. Seems to me you are being perfect."

I couldn't help but scoff. "So, because I'm making the best out of a scenario I never thought I'd be in, I'm trying to be perfect? And therefore, I am fake?"

He put his hand up defensively. "I didn't say that."

Withholding a sigh, I gave a tight smile. "You are trying to make me connect my thoughts on perfectionism to how I am acting. Maybe next you are going to ask about my childhood, how my relationship with my mother molded me and so on. I guess this is where I tell you I saw a therapist for a few years in my early twenties."

His hand went down to rest on his notepad. "It was not my intension to ask about your past or make you feel like I am psycho-analyzing you. Lorenzo wanted us to meet so that he could make sure you are okay and have the support you need. You have been through some traumatic events in the past, what is it now, five or six months?"

My hand rested on my ever-growing belly. "Met Max over six months ago, pregnant now slightly over five months."

He gave a slow nod. "Six months, from going from a regular civilian to someone who is now aware of the mafia world and is now in the middle of a mafia family. I'm curious on how you are handling that, unless it is something you are still processing the meaning of."