Frozen

Maximus

Maximus

"Please give me a call Maximus. It could be a positive thing." Stella's voice echoed in the voicemail I have played a hundred times. Sighing I pressed her contact number listening to the rings before her voicemail came up.

Fuck.

The meeting with Shaw went by quickly since we both wanted to get straight to the point and not bullshit around with politics. The second we were done, I headed back home, away from the dark side of my life and back to the regular gray.

Once I got home I took the first chance I had to call Stella.

But she hasn't picked up.

Fuck, why isn't she picking up the phone? I know it's not right to tell a woman you want something with her than disappear for two months and not call but still. Why would she leave a voicemail telling me I need to call her and then all of a sudden decide to ignore me.

She could be dodging my calls because I texted her saying 'I'll call you later'... and it's been a few days. I'm a dick.

She could have at least sent a 'fuck off' text instead of making me sweat, unless this is punishment.

"Are you even listening to me Maximus?" Lorenzo asked snapping me out of my thoughts to glance over to my older brother who is looking annoyed behind his desk. "Or am I boring you asking about your work trip and your impressions on the men you interviewed?"

Clearing my throat, I straightened in my chair. "I'm listening sorry, running on empty. I suggest that we go with Shaw's offer as partner. He has a good reputation and he would give us good connections in the UK and Canada for our international affairs. Shaw is also straight to the point and good at what he does, I'd trust him."

Lorenzo slowly nodded. "Carnellio will not be happy and he will not be fired without causing a fight."

"How has that bastard been since I've been gone?" I asked feeling my gut gnaw at me, insisting that something is wrong.

"Quiet." Lorenzo growled tapping his desk causing the knot in my stomach to grow. "And I don't think he will be for long."

Knowing he was right, I got up walking over to the liquor and poured us both a scotch.

"If Carnellio wanted us to stay with him, he should have given us information on the ambushes. Just because we used his father doesn't mean we will excuse his behaviour. Shaw is more expensive but he is a better bet and anything we bring him will get to its destination safely."

Returning to my seat I pass my brother a glass and take a sip of my drink, Lorenzo nodding to me. "Shaw it is. Tell the men to watch out for Carnellio, he has a short temper and losing us may make him do something stupid. We will need to prepared for a meeting with him and possible blowback."