What Look

Stella

Stella

Placing a dress on a display mannequin I look over finding a girl walk in with a backpack and tired expression under her long black hair.

"Miss?" She asked. "I'm here for the work study."

Smiling I zip the dress up and place it in the window. "You must be Desimond."

She nodded fidgeting with the strap of her backpack over her shoulder. "Yes Miss."

Laughing I ruffle the dress to make sure it is positioned perfectly. Once I felt happy it looks secure and shows the best of the dress I turn walking over to Desimond.

"Please call me Stella, I'm your new boss I guess but we don't need to be formal. Why don't you put your backpack down? Do you want anything to drink or eat?"

Desimond shook her head taking off her jacket, placing it inside her backpack. My eyes took in the state of her tank top, two sizes too big with multiple holes that are kept together from safety pins. It isn't to make a fashion statement, it is the only thing she has.

Giving her a smile, I tried to ease her out of the nervousness, her fingers twisting the multiple chains around her wrist. "What made you apply for 'London Threads'?"

Desimond shrugged. "Heard you design."

"You interested in designing dresses?"

She shrugged again. "I like sketching. I don't know, sorta into drawing clothes, this place seems cool and is better than trig."

So, either grumpy teenager or she needs time to warm up with me to say what she is actually interested in.

"Well," I started moving around the store showing her the different dresses and sections, "here is where we put everything on display. The store is divided by events; prom dresses here, wedding over there, evening gowns and so on. The men's section is in the back."

Desimond followed behind me, her fingers going over the dresses we pass. "Did you make all of them?"

Shaking my head, we kept walking around the store. "Those are real designers but here is the section of one's I've made myself. Usually if a client wants something handmade they come to me and schedule a meeting to talk about what they want. I still design dresses without a client in mind though."

She nodded following me. "How many regular clients do you have?"

Counting in my head I lead us past the fitting rooms, men's section and ended the tour at the sewing room. "Fifteen but orders come in for weddings and proms."

"Doesn't sound like many." She mumbled walking over to my large sketch station where it has multiple designs laying around with fabric pin sets.

I shook my head. "May not sound like much but those are regular client's I personal design, add walk ins, tailoring, shop running and getting ready for wedding season and there is plenty of work."