Hunting

Maximus

Maximus

I checked my guns, the sound in the car the only thing I heard.

After meeting with the family, looking over reports and intel; a careful plan to capture Carnellio was made. Then everyone stocked up on weapons and got themselves ready in their own physical or mental way. I had snuck off during then, driving to the other side of the neighborhood where Stella's and my new house was.

I found her in the office, doing some work and when I walked in, she took one look at my face and knew what I was going to say. What I was going to do.

We took a moment to look at each other in silence, both of us not sure what to say. Stella then stood up, walked over to me, placed my hand on her belly, bowed our heads together and made me swear to come back to her.

I swore, kissed her, kissed her stomach, told her I loved her and kissed her once more. After that I turned and walked out of the house before I couldn't.

By the time I left my front door, the caravan of SUVS were waiting in front of my house's gate. I got in and we have been driving ever since.

Closing my eyes, I put that final goodbye out of my head. Getting ready for battle isn't only about guns, vests and planning. That physical preparation is important but it means nothing if you aren't mentally ready. And thinking over and over of my goodbye of Stella, the possible 'what if' of seeing her again; must stop.

I opened my eyes and looked outside the SUV, watching the dark scenes pass by the windows.

Hearing the sounds within the van, thoughts of Stella or the fear of not seeing her again disappeared. Instead questions began to fill my head.

It brought myself to the present and I glanced into the rear mirror at Alec who is driving. "Are you playing an audio-book?"

Alec shrugged. "If I am going to die, I want to know what happens. You don't like it, put headphones in to listen to something else."

"Someone's defensive." I muttered, trying to understand what book we are listening to. "You worried a sex scene is going to come up?"

"He's listening to a book, not watching porn." Tate said checking his guns. Sebastian and other men will be looking after Stella, we need Tate tonight.

I snorted. "You haven't read books. I went through some of Stella's during the move." A whistle came out of my lips. "Women's porn, comes in the shape of books, especially fantasy romance for my woman."

Romano glanced over to me on the other side of the car. "What kind of books did she give Anastasia yesterday?"

I didn't answer him and went back to looking outside the window. I'll let his mind wonder about the possibility.

The plan tonight was perfect, well as much as it can be, there are always variables that are uncertain and can change things at any point. But that is why you have contingency plans a mile long, everyone is ready in case different scenarios start.