Heart

Two more chapters to go!

Stella

"Now that you all know the different chess pieces I can move onto what they do." A voice spoke bring me out of my dreams. "Usually I wouldn't be so lenient but seeing as you are a few days old I will wait to test you on the game until you can start forming words."

Opening my eyes, I slowly look around my surroundings, noticing that I was in a hospital room and currently laying in a bed. My mind thought back to my last memory; being in the store, the truck crashing, the hospital with Sebastian, meeting the doctors and Max coming to tell me he loved me.

How long ago was that last memory? What has happened since then?

"Alright, we remember the Rook piece?" The voice in the room said drawing my gaze. A man was sitting with his back to me, facing a table. "The Rook starts here, in the corner spots and is able to as many squares it wants to either horizontally or vertically."

I know that voice, I think I do. My mind was still foggy but I wanted to know what happened with my babies.

"Romano?" I croaked towards the voice and man in the suit.

The body jumped and turned towards me, proving I was right in guessing the owner to the voice.

"Of course, after I kick Maximus out to go home to shower and get fresh clothes you wake up." Romano replied with a relief filled smile while he looked over his shoulder at me. "The bastard will never let me hear the end of it."

I gave a dry chuckle, my throat feeling like sandpaper. "I like to keep him on his toes. Do you have any water?"

The moment he stood up, my breath got caught in my throat and I was wide awake in an instant. In his arms were two little bundles, one on his right and one in his left.

"Are they?" I started, swallowing painfully again. "Are you holding them?"

He shrugged and looked guilty. "It felt wrong to hold only one and have the other in their cradle alone."

"Can I hold them?" I asked, staring at the bundles wanting nothing more than to see my babies. To hold them and know they are safe.

"Can you?" Romano chuckled walking towards me. "You are their mom, Stella, of course you can."

I slowly moved my arms up, the movement seeming foreign to my exhausted body but I didn't care. I needed to hold my babies. Romano appeared next to me and slowly bent down, one of his arms handing me off one of the babies and it nestled safely into my arms on my chest.

Moving my hand over the baby's face my heart felt like it was going to burst and I fought against the desire to cry. "Hi Alaric." My voice broke but I didn't care. "Hi my baby boy."

He looked so beautiful in my arms, he looked absolutely perfect and I wanted to cry knowing that he was safe and here with me.

Glancing up to look for Sophia, I found her still in Romano's arms.