Man Like That

Stella

Stella

I reached over pouring hot water into the tea pot as the bell over the door chimed. Looking up, a smile broke on my face seeing the woman walking through the door. Pulling away from my desk I ran over hugging my Nanna, careful to not tackle her.

"Ah you're here!" I say making her break the hug, her hands cupping my cheeks.

Nanna's hair was pulled up in her signature bun, her face soft looking at me. "You say that as if you thought I wouldn't come back."

Rolling my eyes, I walk us towards the couches. "It's been months since I have gotten any postcards with mentions of hot men, only boring emails with random pictures. Thoughts ranged from abduction to you marrying a billionaire."

She chuckled taking a seat, her eyes looking around the shop. "I see you have taken care of the place."

Waving my hand, I walk over picking up the tea pot and settled beside her. "You know I love it as much as you do."

Carefully I poured each of us a cup of tea. Looking Nanna over I noticed the weight she has lost and her grey hair seems thinner since the last time I have seen her. I remember our conversation earlier this year, her telling me that she has cancer.

One of the worst days of my life. When I told her about treatment options she shook her head saying she will live out the rest of her days traveling and accept death when it comes.

Who am I to tell her how to live her life, she is happy and that's all I can focus on.

"Stop looking at me like I'm about to keel over right now." My Nanna scolded shaking me from my thoughts, my head ducking with guilt that my first thoughts when she arrived were about her sickness. "I feel fit as a fiddle right now, so stop worrying. Now let me worry about you, what is going on with your life?"

Chuckling I bring my cup to my lip. I focused on her laughter lines, the sign that she is enjoying life and that is what I should focus on. Not the end. "Life is good. Anthony and Cody are always bothering me, the shop is doing well and I have volunteered to be a part of a work study with the high school."

Nanna's tea cup clattered on the saucer with a disapprovingly look. "That is an answer at a job interview. I am your Nanna now when I ask about your life I want the juicy parts to make sure you are enjoying it."

Taking a sip of my tea I shook my head laughing. "Those are the juicy parts, it's my life I don't have time for crazy wild stories. Anthony tries with those obligatory club nights he drags me to."

She tsked lifting her cup. "When I was a girl, even at your age with this store I ran around the town with your grandfather getting into all types of trouble. You need to enjoy life, not feel like you have to be perfect in every situation. When was the last time a man made you scream all night long?"

"NANNA!" I exclaimed not knowing what to say and ashamed to answer.

She tsked again. "Too long. Meet a man and let it be what you need to be to enjoy your life and to get the cob webs out. Before I die I want to make sure you are being taken care of."