10. dear death.

· ━━━━ · ✣ · ━━━━ ·

This one shot is Harry's POV when he's supposed to go "die" during the Battle of Hogwarts. This doesn't correlate with the current version of COD. He and Addy had just said their goodbyes and these are his "last" thoughts.

And this chapter is dedicated to our lovely Helen McCrory, who has passed away on April 16, 2021. This serves as a symbol for her death and she will be missed.

 This serves as a symbol for her death and she will be missed

Saying goodbye is death by a thousand cuts

· ━━━━ · ✣ · ━━━━ ·

Harry never tore his gaze away from Addy as he moved farther from her, the three words he lived to to say leaving a mark against his lips.

Simple I love you's escaped from their mouths and into each others; there simply wasn't enough time to relish and savor the lament period.

She continued to watch his figure drawing farther away from her, the tears leaving stains against her soot covered face. Despite her condition, there was nothing about her that he could not find ethereal.

Each element, each little bit of her that he could see was something he learned to cherish and love. Her touches were honey and his solace, and he would miss them dearly.

Part of him desired for Addy to run after him, to hold him back and beg for him to not leave him. He wanted her to drag her heels against the ground and dig her fingernails into his arm with cold tears that would fall down his hands.

There was another side of him that manifested for her to accompany him towards the end. They could share their last day together, greeting death with no outbursts and a calm hello instead.

But he couldn't keep her from having the life she deserved. Addy would find someone else who could provide her with the life he had failed to give.

Harry messed up greatly, leaving her in pieces he tried too hard to put together. Instead, he left the shards more shattered than they originally were.

Her memory burned inside of him, the fiery embers never dying out. He chose to take in every intricate detail of hers, just to have his mind on something nice before his death. She would be his last thought; he was determined to have it this way.

Finally, he was far enough to the point he couldn't see her. This left him with an unsettling feeling in his stomach, the reality fully registering to him.

He wanted to do nothing but curl up in her lap by the welcoming fireplace in the common room, lightly joking about everything. He wanted to have no worries and looming terrors above their heads. He wanted to go back to normal. But whatever he wanted never happened.