8. the slug club.

· ━━━━ · ✣ · ━━━━ ·

About a week later, it was the day of Slughorn's dinner party. It was a semi-formal attire, so Addy, Harry, and Hermione were a little more dressed up than usual.

Ron glared at them over Lavender's head as they left the common room, presumably upset he wasn't invited as well.

"I hope it isn't too boring." Harry muttered as they walked down the halls.

"Honestly, it isn't that bad!" Hermione exclaimed. She had been to Slughorn's dinners before, since Addy and Harry were busy with Quidditch, "They can actually be pretty fun!"

Hermione's definition of fun didn't reassure both Addy and Harry. They knocked on the door to Slughorn's office.

He answered, his face brightening at the sight of them, "Harry! It's so nice to see you! You too Miss. Aldaine and Miss. Granger."

He stepped aside and let the three in. There was a large circular table that consisted of many students. There were more people here than back in the compartment on the Hogwarts Express.

There were many students that Addy recognized. There was a wide range of students in every year and every house.

Cormac McLaggen was there too unfortunately. He tried to catch Hermione, Harry, and Addy's eyes, but they pretended not to see him.

Slughorn waved his wand and dinner appeared on the table. He began to question each person about their families.

The conversation might've been interesting if Addy was paying attention. She looked around Slughorn's office and noticed lots of clutter everywhere. The clutter wasn't messy however.

"Miss. Aldaine!" Slughorn's voice snapped Addy from her thoughts, "What do your parents do?"

"My dad works in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, sir." she quickly replied, "My mum has her own small business of creating and selling potions."

"Your mother was always an expert in that subject." Slughorn complimented. He then changed the subject quickly, "I've heard that you've gotten a vision recently. Would you like to share it with us?"

Expecting faces peered over to her.

They wanted to know her vision about Ron and Lavender snogging and Hermione crying. Addy glanced over at Hermione who subtly shook her head.

"It's nothing really. Even I was a bit confused by it." Addy lied, focusing on her meal.

"Oh, no matter. Now, Miss. Granger, what do your parents do in the muggle world."

"They're dentists." Hermione answered, "They tend to people's teeth."

"Is it considered a dangerous profession?" Slughorn asked. He seemed intrigued by the job.

"No," Hermione said slowly, but then smiled, "Although, one boy did bite my father's hand once."

Addy and Harry smiled as Slughorn's eyes widened. He quickly moved onto another student.

Just as they were beginning dessert, the office door opened and shut quickly. Ginny walked in.

"I'm sorry I'm late. I'm usually not like this." she sat down in an empty chair.

"No worries." Slughorn responded dismissively.

"Look at her eyes. They've been fighting, her and Dean." Hermione whispered. She was right. Ginny's eyes were red and swollen like she'd been crying.

Addy gave her a sad look. She and Dean's relationship hadn't been going as well recently. Addy wondered if he knew about Ginny and Luna's hookups, which continued frequently still.