13. the leaky cauldron.

· ━━━━ · ✣ · ━━━━ ·

Some of you might've read this already, but this is the beginning of POA, before the actual COD timeline and this is canon to the story.

And baby, I get mystified by how this city screams your name

· ━━━━ · ✣ · ━━━━ ·

The pale moonlight shone through the glass window that illuminated the table she sat upon. It provided the right amount of brightness she needed to study her new books for the school year.

They were stacked in multiple piles, the spines stiff from never being put into use. She had gone out and bought them earlier that day, here in Diagon Alley, along with the rest of her Hogwarts supplies.

Addy was finally alone for once in her life; her father had an important Ministry errand to attend in Egypt while her mother decided to tag along.

Since school would be starting shortly, her parents came to the decision to leave her here at the Leaky Cauldron, under the strict supervision of Tom, the landlord.

The Weasley family was due to arrive there in two days time, so she wouldn't be completely by herself. Addy knew their friend, Hermione Granger, would be joining as well.

She was excited for the school year to begin, desperate to be back in the large, familiar castle that she called home. Being surrounded by her friends seemed the perfect way to spend autumn, winter, and spring.

"Adelaide, it's late." Tom's voice rang out for the fifth time that evening, "Your mother specifically told me to make sure you get some rest."

Addy closed her books with a light scoff, "And I thought you enjoyed my company. I'm wounded."

"Your ego needs to be punctured." he chuckled in reply as he flicked his wand to stack the chairs upon the tables, "Up you get."

She shook her head with a smile as she gathered up her books, balancing them carefully in her arms as she stood.

After curt nods were exchanged between Tom and Addy, she left to ascend up the dark staircase.

The Leaky Cauldron was quiet at this time of night, which was to be expected. There weren't many people around, just faint voices of the ones that arrived there late and was heading to their room.

She truly had been bored during her stay there, considering that she had really no one to spend time with, other than Tom.

Wandering around Diagon Alley during the day was alright, not having someone watching over her every second of the day; she was free to do whatever she wished.

As Addy continued to walk, she could hear the previously barely audible voices becoming more clearer and less muffled with each step she took.

If she didn't know any better, it sounded as if it belonged to Cornelius Fudge, the Minister of Magic.