Chapter 19

Kat's little Mini Cooper was sufficient enough to get us to a 5 o'clock showing at the movie theater a block or two away. We were reoccurring guests at the movies, often coming to see a show after a long day of work. Thinking back, I realize how often Kat has gotten me through those difficult times. I need to give her more credit for her dedication to me. We retrieved our popcorn and movie theater candies before making our way into the unreasonably cold and extremely uncomfortable seats. An occasional spring stabbed us in the ass, but it was nostalgic in a way. We enjoyed the movie, but I felt my mind start to drift towards the middle of the movie.

'What is Wilder doing right now?'

'I bet he's looking for me.' I smiled fondly at the though.

'He's going to give up on you because you're not easy.' My thoughts turned sour in the blink of an eye.

'No one wants to be with a noncompliant broken bitch.' My mind force fed the bitter feelings to me. Kat seemed to notice my change in spirit, as she reached for my hand and pet the back of it with her thumb. I didn't feel discomfort from her actions, even though I knew she didn't just like the company of men, in fact, I'm sure she preferred women, but despite this I knew the relationship we had was purely platonic.

I leaned into her warm embrace, resting my head on her shoulder and allowing my mind to drift into the comfort of her warmth. She watched the movie, ignoring my heavy head on her. I was grateful that she hadn't moved, although I knew she was beginning to become uncomfortable with the heavy weight on her shoulder. I could see her feet moving, trying to adjust without shifting her shoulders, but it clearly wasn't working out for her. With a slight chuckle, I lifted my head from her shoulder, and smiled up at her. She smiled back before turning  back to the movie. She was in a trance. Was she really enjoying the movie that much?

I finished the rest of the movie with a more calmed state of mind. We eventually stood after the credits had passed. It had been a tradition to watch the movie all the way to the end, I would say it was because we loved spending time together, and didn't want the movie to end, but it was more so the reluctance to return to the real world. We exited the movie, with a small wave at the employees waiting for us to leave, so they could clean it. We made our way back to her car, silently.

"Tell me what's wrong, Adi." She practically whispered when we reentered the car.

"Kat, don't play this game." I groaned, but she reached for my shoulders and shifted my body to face her.

"Adi, I know you don't want to talk about it, you never do, but I've been there with you through it all. What makes this different?" She questioned, but I was so reluctant to answer. I didn't know what she would do if I told her what had happened. Oh I was kidnapped by a pack of wolves. No! One she won't believe me. I wouldn't believe me, and two she would probably reach out to the police. I sighed a big sigh, and turned to look her in the eyes.

"I'm so confused." I sighed feeling one tear fall down my cheek. It danced across my cheekbone, brushing the corner of my lips. I stuck out my tongue to taste its salty residue.

"Adi," she sighed as well. "I wish you would tell me these things before it consumes you. Why do you bottle up your emotions? I want to help you." She pulled me into a brief hug before allowing me to sit straight again. I looked at her. It's my turn to respond, but what do I say?

"I don't want to fall in love. I don't want to be stuck to one person, because I'm not type of person to leave when things get bad." Both a blessing and a curse. I won't give up until it's too late. Kat thought on it for a moment before meeting eye contact again. I could see a sparkle of joy in her eyes, causing a look of confusion to cross mine.