Chapter 9

Talking with Wilder seemed to come more natural than talking to anyone else. After spending my whole lifetime avoiding anyone and everyone, he seemed to be just what I needed. The support was something I'd never experienced before, and he seemed to overflow with it. Then again, I've met people like them. They all turned into manipulative liars.

"Give this life a chance. Give me a chance, I can change your mind about me if you just give me the opportunity." He whispered pulling away from our hug. I released the sigh I was holding deep in my lungs.

"I'm bad at trusting." I whispered ashamedly. I don't know why I was so scared to let him in. More so than anyone else, but at the same time, I wanted to open up to him more than I have ever wanted with anyone else. He seemed good.

"Give me that chance to prove myself, baby." He pulled me deeper into a hug. I wasn't uncomfortable with his touch, in fact I felt more comfortable with him than anyone else. His warmth surrounded me, and for the first time in a long time my anxiety dissipated. The tightness in my jaw loosened, and my fingers unclenched. He seemed to notice, as he pulled away and took a good look at me. His smile brightened my day, but it quickly disappeared as he began to gnaw on his bottom lip. He looked anxious. A well known feeling for me.

"What's wrong?" I questioned smoothly. He looked me in my eyes, but this time I could see his raw emotion shining through.

"Do you accept my offer?" He looked away, as if he couldn't bare to look at me when I said no.

"I guess it does." I smiled softly to myself. His head whipped around to look at me, and I giggled at his wild motions. I felt them somewhere inside me, and even though I didn't want to trust him, I did. I felt his genuine soul deep inside of me. I looked over to the door to see a bright light flash, and every emotion hit me like a brick. I felt my hands start to shake. Wilder did too, because he took hold of one.

"Are you okay." He questioned. Zeke and Willow who stood at the door with a camera taking pictures stopped and looked at me questioningly.

"I'm oka-" My sentence was cut short as I saw the blackness overtake my senses.

I was only 14. My teacher had given us a lot of homework, that I planned to avoid all weekend. I opened the door to my new foster parent's house. I had only been here for a couple days and I already hated it. I took off my shoes and slipped my set socks off as well, setting them inside the shoes. The rain soaked me to the core and it didn't help that I had been walking home for the past hour.

"I'm back!" I shouted out into the house, but no one responded. I must be alone, which was good considering how I intended to avoid everyone for as long as I could. Catherine, my foster mom basically used me to watch her younger children and clean her house like a maid service. My faster father, Henry, always tried to make advances at me, casually putting his hand on my thighs or sitting just a little too close. I knew it was only a matter of time before he actually took what he wanted. Their young children hated me, and refused me food or a room to sleep even though we were supposed to be sharing. I began to walk up the stairs when I felt a presence behind me. I quickly turned, not trusting anyone in this house, and saw Catherine standing at the bottom of the stairs. 

"My husband is cheating on me, with you." I could see the crazed look in her eyes, and the mascara stains spilling down her cheeks.

"I didn't want him. He touched me." I turned and faced her straight on, actually feeling bad for the poor woman. She walked right up to me and delivered a slap across my cheeks.

"He left me! For you!" She screamed and pulled the knife out from behind her back. I stumbled up the stairs trying to find safety, but she chased me up and into her kids' room.