Chapter 25

TW: talk of self harm

Wilder's POV

The moment I threw the doors to the pack hospital open I saw the waiting bed ready to carry Adi to the room. I had felt her heart beat in my arms. I watched her slow breathing in my arms. I didn't want to let her go, but I knew that I would have to if I wanted to ever feel her breathe in my arms again.

"Right here, Alpha." Reluctantly I set Adi onto the gurney. They wheeled her away, but I followed quickly behind trying to keep up with their pace and keeping an ear in the conversation.

"We need to change her first." The head nurse stated as she wheeled her into the room. My uncontrollable growl stopped the nurses from removing her top.

"Alpha." One of the nurses looked over to me. I could see the urgency in her eyes and the plea to allow her to do her job.

"I'll do it." I hissed out and stepped forward. The nurses backed up and allowed me to remove my mate's top. As I lifted it to the knife that was still lodged into her chest, I noticed something suspicious.

"What's that?" I questioned touching what looked to be a plastic bag tucked under her bra. The nurses all rushed forward and quickly pulled at her clothing. I took a second to observe her body. What appeared to be fresh scars littered her stomach. I looked farther up and noticed the residue of blood coating the plastic bag that had been tucked away in her bra. As the nurses removed the knife, I noticed a small incision above her breast, but nothing that wouldn't be fixed with a stitch or two. My eyes widened as they traveled further up and gazed upon her face. Foam was coming from her mouth.

"What is happening!" I yelled out my question, catching the nurses attention. Some looked back to me and some looked up to see where I was looking to. As soon as we all gazed upon her face in confusion, she started convulsing.

"Get the Narcan!" One of the nurses shouted and moved to quickly stabilize her. Nurses ran off every which way to collect their supplies. 

"You think this was a fucking overdose?" I asked in fury. Why would my mate overdose? How did she get the medication.

"It exhibits the symptoms, Alpha." The head nurse explained. I ran my hands through my hair and watched as the nurses returned with air tubes and other tubes and an injection.

"Injecting! 3,2,1." I heard one of the nurses count down before injecting the Narcan into my mate's body. She stopped convulsing immediately, and next was the tube. They prepared the pumping machine and stuffed the tube into her mouth. I watched each of the nurse work like a well oiled machine to revive their luna. When everything was said and done, they removed the pills from her stomach, which turned out to be the true issue. She had taken at least 40 pills. The foam was gone and the shaking had stopped. They replaced the vacuum tube with an oxygen tube and an IV.

I sat beside her resting body for hours trying to gather the courage to touch her. Zeke had linked me, but I didn't have the energy or motivation to respond. I rested my head down on the bed beside her for what felt like only a moment, but I must have fallen asleep, as the next thing I knew there was a hand on my head, scratching my scalp. I hummed in approval and leaned into the scratching. Her fingers left tingles on my head and her nails scratched deliciously down my scalp. I wonder what they could do to my back. Wait.

"Adi." I lifted my head so quickly from the bed I almost got whiplash.

"Wilder." She muttered out. I could hear the rawness in her voice due to the tube they put down her throat.

"Don't talk just think." I hummed and took hold of her hand that had just been in my hair. I felt her wall between our connection crumble, and I knew she hadn't truly meant to reject me in that moment, but I needed answers.