September, 1993

BLOTCHES OF smudged mascara ran down the sides of Lavender Brown's cheeks as she yelled at the older Gryffindor boy with such suppressed anger Liv feared the entire tower would crumble at her feet because of the noise. She'd never seen her friend in such a state, many boys had come and passed when it came down to Lavender Brown, though none of them had ever been yelled at like this – maybe Andrew Ross had finally pushed the boy-crazed girl over the edge. As he stumbled backwards, desperate to retreat from the enraged girl, he'd tripped over the couch and Liv had to pretend it wasn't the funniest thing she'd seen all week, suppressed her giggle, and continued to frown in concern for her friend once more. The moment Andrew fled from the hysteria and out through the portrait whole Lavender fell to her knees, her loud sobs echoing through the empty common room – minus the few forst years who were unlucky enough to be trapped in the fight who now stood mouths agape.

"Who's the girl?" Liv demanded running to Lavender's side – Dean following short behind. Liv at least hoped there was another girl, it usually was.

"Some Hufflepuff whore," She continued to sob, aggressively kicking over the closest chair. Dean picked it up with a huff. ""I thought the people in that house were supposed to be nice,"

"If we're using stereotypes Gryffindor's are supposed to be brave, so quit crying! You're better than this, Lav. You're better than him,"

Liv punched Dean's arm roughly, giving him a stern look before turning to Lavender, again with concern. "Don't listen to him, of course you're allowed to be upset,"

"No, no," She sniffed wiping away the last of her tears. "He's right. I need to suck it up, I can't give him the satisfaction,"

"That's more like it, Lavender!" Dean cheered, and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. Liv pushed the boy away, knowing they were the last thing Lavender would want hanging around her at such a time, and pulled her up by the arm.

"Come on," she said. "We're going to be late for potions – we'll fix this makeup on the way, okay?"

*

"You're late,"

Livs first potions lesson of the year had gone off to a bad start – not that it was possible for a potions class to ever go good, but she'd probably just earned herself another detention. She huffed a quick 'sorry' to Professor Snape and slipped into her seat next to Padma – and to her displeasure, opposite Draco and his friends. Pansy, pawing at Draco's injury once more, and the other three boys flicking what suspiciously looked like rats tails at each other.

"Does it still hurt, Draco?" Pansy cooed, stroking her slim fingers over the slings material. "It looks so sore,"

Pansy began to pout. Padma tilted her head into Liv's – her laugh as soft and smooth as velvet. "What a loser," She whispered through her giggles.

"It does," Draco nodded in response. "Infact – Professor Snape? I can't do my potion, you know, because of my arm,"

From the shadows of the potions classroom where Professor Snape's desk was trying its hardest to be hide away in the dark, Liv clearly  saw he hadn't even looked up from his desk, and spoke as if it had been planned all along. "Miss Black can do it for you as she thinks it's acceptable to walk into my class late,"

Liv stopped for a moment in disbelief. Wanker! She wasn't quite sure if she was thinking of Snape or Draco – it was fitting for them both. She sulked her way to where the Slytherins were sat, giving the Gryffindor's a longing look back.