June, 1993

IF FRIENDSHIP at first sight was a thing, Padma Patil had experienced it first hand the first time she'd seen Liv Black, pulling out her wand on Ron Weasley for chewing too loud despite it only being her second day at Hogwarts, and being clueless about spells. Ron dropped the chicken wing in shock – it splashing into a bowl of gravy and covering Harry head to toe in it. As he wiped the brown goo from his glasses, Hermione snatched Liv's want from her hand and accidentally poked it straight into Harry's eye whilst doing so. Everybody laughed, but no one as loud as Padma.

Liv swiftly spun round in her seat. She'd never heard such a sweet laugh in her life. Padma had her hand covering her mouth as she giggled away – the silver cross necklace resting on her chest reflected brightly into Liv's eyes. She looked up, starting intensively at the girl.

"What?" Padma suddenly panicked, "is there something on my face?"

Liv was quickly taken aback and briefly stopped staring, "...no.... nothing on your face, well apart from your freckles,"

And now, 2 years later, Padma Patil did infact have something on her face; for Liv had just smeared a finger covered in icing from her 13th birthday cake all over her cheek.

"I hate you!" Padma gasped, beginning to chase Liv around Remus' kitchen table.

Liv smirked dipping past a chair in hopes to run faster than the girl chasing her, but Padma was too fast; catching up with Liv and wrapping her arm around her waist before falling to the ground in a fit of giggles.

Liv's birthday had gone great, it was a warm summer morning- something that would have seemed impossible last winter. Kaia, Remus' seemingly on and off girlfriend of a couple years (Liv didn't know, Remus was very private about his relationships) had popped in to wish her a happy birthday and stayed round for some morning tea, leaving behind a rather large pile of wrapped presents.

Kaia was very beautiful. And very tall too. Liv had always thought she could be one of those muggle supermodels, with long slim legs and very delicate features. Perhaps that's what Kaia did in her spare time, for Liv didn't know- infact, Liv had never asked. She'd make a mental note to ask Remus later.

At first glance, Kaia and Remus wouldn't be seen as a compatible. She was a fair few years younger and always looked well put together compared to Remus, greying and covered in scars making him look rather ragged. But when you saw the pair together, either snoozing with limbs entangled on the couch or both bent over a baking book with puzzled expressions, you could then understand why they fell in love.

Or were they not in love? Maybe they were just really good friends. No, friends don't make out with each other on couch Liv thought. A friend of Remus' wouldn't take Liv's spot in his bed, waiting, full of comfort, for when she has a nightmare and needed to sleep in her fathers arms.

"Happy Birthday, Liv,"

Liv's thoughts fluttered away and went straight to her stomach, where Padma was softly sat. Liv brought a finger up to Padma's face and gently wiped away the icing and placed her finger in her mouth.

"Did someone say birthday?"

Liv assumed the deep male voice who had called from the open front door was her father, but when she peered her head in its direction she was more than surprised to see an older man in long silver robes.

"Professor Dumbledore?"

The girls quickly scrambled from the floor.

"Hello Miss Patil, Happy Birthday, Olivia," Dumbledore smiled. He never called her 'Miss Black'