Forgive & Forget. July, 1993

They pulled apart nearly as quickly as they'd pounced into each other's embrace. It had been a silly, childish burst of desperation that left both of them breathless and heavy-hearted, but seemed to have relieved whatever sudden torment had been caused between them. Satisfied, Remus and Sirius went back to sipping their beers, squinting up to the haft-crescent moon that was illuminating the outside world. Even when the kitchen light had flicked off, and Liv was safely out of sight, they reminded safely apart.

Sirius stayed that night, only to Remus' request, resting his head in the spare room, for the room that he once called 'his' was now that of his daughters - and although Sirius was finally home, and a mere fifteen feet from where Remus' door had been pulled shut, he felt lost.

The new comfort of being in a house, let alone a carpeted room with a bed frame and a mattress (not to forget the pillows too!) compared to the cold, soiled stone cell he'd been accustomed too for so long should not have left him feeling as uncomfortable as it did. Even after the decade of longing for privacy, a different place to escape too, somewhere where a series of men would not peer into his cell - or even harshly bash the metal of their muggle-style batons in a threatening way, Sirius wanted nothing but to not be alone. Infact, the loneliness had become suffocating.

Or maybe it was the longingness.

Sirius barely slept that night. Neither did Remus. it was only Liv who managed to rest her head well, stretching to soothe her freshly-awoken limbs as she slid her feet into the soft slippers that she'd abandoned by her doorframe the night before. Just as if it were a normal day, she headed for breakfast before suddenly being startled by the wild animal curled up in the doorway opposite her own when she left her room.

The realization that it was just Sirius in animagi form kicked in a moment later, so she continued her journey downstairs, taking a step towards the stairs. The floorboards of her old home creaked, sending the dog into a spiral of loud barking as it pounced up onto all fours. Liv's heart began to beat twice as frantically as it had when she'd first seen the animal curled up by the door, only feeling relieved when the startled, growling dog formed into a man.

"Sorry... sorry," Sirius gushed to the girl who's mouth was still open in surprise, thankful to see her fearful expression soothe into a softer one.

"You scared me!" Liv said, letting out a light, relieved laugh, holding a hand against her racing heart which was beginning to slow down. Sirius looked apologetic. "You didn't sleep on the floor, did you?" Liv added, her eyes trailing the spot of carpet Sirius had been led on.

Sirius was unsure what to say, for her was unsure why he'd done it to begin with. "It's been a long time since..." he muttered, choosing his words carefully. "It's hard to get used too it all again,"

"Oh, i see," Liv quietly lied, for she didn't understand at all. She took a particularly deep breath through her nose, smiling at the familiar smell of her Saturday pancakes. "I think I smell breakfast," she said, heading down stairs once more. Sirius smiled, and trailed down the steps behind her.

Naturally, Remus had awoken early to cook up breakfast - pancakes, Liv's favorite, but only on a Saturday (Remus believed it was unhealthy to have them them more than once a week, but Liv, a growing girl, strongly disagreed) The kitchen smelt even better than the sweet aroma that had trailed upstairs, and Liv naturally headed straight to the cupboard which held the chocolate spread.

"Coffee?" Remus offered to Sirius after they'd greeted each other, handing him the warm mug. Sirius accepted the drink, though he hadn't dark coffee in over in a decade. He used to drink coffee at this very table every day, but over time had forgotten how sour the taste was. He loved it, none the less.