September, 1991

THE IDEA of putting on an old, soiled, talking hat in front of hundreds of strangers didn't seem very inviting. Not because Liv was too shy to do so, but more to do with the fact she knew she looked like an absolute idiot, not able to walk more than a few feet without grabbing onto the the nearest set of shoulders – wether it be Dean, who would grab her hand to steady her walking, or Professor McGonagal herself.

She stood with the awaiting first years, gazing from face to face and wondering why is there so little blondes? Except from the slick-back haired boy over to the left, whose features were surprising similar to Liv's own, especially considering their platinum hair were identical shades. She glanced to the boys either side of him, thinking they looked scarily like gorillas in uniform, guarding the smaller boy behind their large frames.

Liv silently laughed the matter off, and continued to focus on the surrounding students. There was a group of pretty girls, a ginger and scruffy haired boy sandwiching another pretty girl, a group of boys, the girl Liv had accidentally slapped around the face who was scowling at anyone who got too close, Dean, herself, and Seamus.

"BLACK, OLIVIA"

She jumped at the sound of her name echoing across the large hall, oblivious to the few students who'd already been sorted. Eagerly running up the steps leading to the stool, she let Professor McGonagal drop the hat onto her head, which fell far beyond her face. Liv nervously waited, hearing a faint "gowan!!" from beyond the hats material, undoubtedly the voice of Fred Weasley, and as if on cue; the sorting hat opened its line of a mouth and cried "GRYFFINDOR!"

Greetings and warm welcomes were sent Liv's way as she slid into an empty bench at the Gryffindor table, half-smiling half-grinning at her new, cheering housemates. To her left were Hogwarts infamous red heads, the twins she'd so effortlessly got on with earlier, who were making the most noise in front of the many students, eager to get a look at the new student who'd been first to join their house.

"Striking, isn't it? To be sorted into Gryffindor," the ginger cheered.

"Ravishing indeed," she smiled back.

The remaining first years were sorted, with Fred and George muttering to one another every time 'Slytherin' echoed across the hall. Liv hadn't a clue what they were saying, but caught onto the fact that what they were saying probably wasn't the nicest, making her merely nod her head in response when the girl from her boat, (Pansy Parkinson, she's learnt) made her way to the Green and Black house, and Seamus had leant over and whispered "knew she'd be Slytherin, that's where all the dicks go,"

But now the hall filled with the sound of countless conversations, and the smell of various meals. Liv reached for the bowl of spaghetti, her all time favourite, piling it onto her plate.

"Do they usually have this much food?" Liv asked.

"Not this much, Dumbledore probably just wants to make a good impression on you first years," one of the twins, Fred, said.

"Tomorrow we will be back to potatoes and carrots," the other red head added.

Liv turned to Dean, who'd fortunately joined her at the Gryffindor table, "Are you stalking me?"

Dean smiled, "you're the one who followed me onto the boat,"

━━━━━━━━