October, 1993

tw? very underage drinking *ೃ༄

━━━━━━━━

"I NEED TO borrow a shirt," Liv had demanded the moment she'd stepped foot in her fathers chambers bright and early the next morning.

But not just any morning, Halloween morning.

"And why's that?"

Remus too had woken rather early. Although, not because of the excitement of a Halloween party – quite the opposite really. Halloween was a day he'd always spend quietly grieving.

As a kid, Halloween was Remus Lupin's favourite holiday. Not because of the free treats handed out for his sweet tooth. But rather a time where his inner monster could finally fit in. There was no denying Remus wasn't a monster, the kids who'd patch themselves up in fur and stick large canines over there normal teeth on this day proved it. But Remus loved it... he loved finally fitting in! He could walk around freely with his scars and for once not be started at, or questioned, or sometimes if he was lucky he'd be complimented on his efforts.

After Halloween of 1981, the day became just as unbearable as the rest. Each year he'd wake up hoping, maybe, he wouldn't feel as shit as the last. He always did. The pain never got better, and the grieving never got shorter. That small piece of hope that would start screaming 'it was all a dream!' The moment he awoke would be crushed just as quickly as it started when the reality finally hit. They were all dead, and that was never going to change.

"For the halloween party," Liv called, deep inside his closet of clothes, rummaging through the many materials. "I'm a third-year now, so I'm allowed to go,"

"That doesn't explain why you need my shirts," Remus responded, continuing to sip his tea and flick through the daily prophet as he did so.

Liv – still deep in the wardrobe, called back. "I'm dressing up as a cowboy - or cowgirl, whatever,"

"Are your school shirts not good enough?"

"Nope. I need something cowboy-y, you know? With stripes or something – aha!" She pulled out a large, red, checkered shirt and held it up against her front to show her father. "Can I take this one?"

"Sure, but it's way too big, don't you think?" Remus asked.

"I'm gonna tie it into a crop top, duh!" Liv responded. "I didn't have a needle stuck through my stomach to have it hidden all the time,"

"Merlin," Remus sighed, rubbing his hand against his forehead which, unfortunately, awoke the small voice in his head.

'What do you except? YOU agreed to take in Sirius Blacks kid. Did you think she'd have her nose stuck in a book 24/7? Ha!'

"Gotta dash! Bye! Love you!"

━━━━━━━━

The party started at 7, so, naturally, throughout the entire school day it was on Liv's mind. Potions class seemed to drag on forever, longer than usual if that was possible, and she'd spent the entire hour and a half staring at the clock. For some reason, Liv believed if she gobbled down her lunch as quickly as possible it would make time go faster – it didn't, and she was left with terrible indigestion that lasted all through her care of magical creatures class, to make matters worse.

When classes were finally over, and dinner all eaten up, it was finally time. Padma and Liv had locked themselves in their dormitory bathroom to the other girls displeasure and had turned what was once a comfortable and neatly organised girls bathroom into what looked like the remainders of a Boots half-price sale.