September, 1993

THE LAST full moon of summer fell the night before September 1st, the day Remus would be heading back to Hogwarts; the place that safely held all his happiest memories. Infact, It was the safest place in Britain, so he knew these memories would be waiting for him unscratched the moment he walked through the hogwarts gates.

Remus on the other hand, was the opposite of unscratched. The moment he woke he tasted blood, the room reeked of it too, and his limbs felt like they'd been stretched and torn apart in some sort of torture machine- just like every other month.

But alas he pulled himself from the cold stone floor and pulled a t-shirt and trousers over his freshly cut skin and pulled himself up the basement steps and opening the door to air that finally didn't taste like blood.

Liv had put her book down the moment the door opened, she'd been up for hours. It was hard to sleep during a full moon, and even harder the night before September 1st, the two falling on the same night meant she'd been up since 2am curled up on a kitchen chair.

"Daddy–"

"Alright? What are you doing up so early?"

"You're bleeding!"

Remus ran a hand down the side of his face and looked at the blood smeared on his fingers.

"Oh, my beautiful face," he said sarcastically. Liv rolled her eyes. "I need a shower, and you need to sleep. Big day today,"

"I know!" Liv grinned holding out her arms like a baby waiting to be picked up, to which Remus playfully scoffed at.

"I just faced a full moon, and you're making me carry you?"

"I'm too tired," Liv whined, "and you're getting old. I need to make the most of it,"

"I am not getting old,"

True to his words Remus effortlessly picked up his daughter into his arms. Maybe it was his werewolf strength, or maybe it was because Liv was a rather short girl. Either way he made it up to her room and dropped her softly into her bed, pulling the covers up over her.

Liv began to snooze off the moment her head hit the pillow. That always made Remus smile, he kissed her forehead softly and shut the door behind him before heading to his own room to wash off last nights full moon.

He then climbed into his own bed, careful not to wake Kaia who was fast asleep next to him; she wouldn't have been if Remus hadn't slipped some sleeping potion into the glass of water on the bedside table. She would have stayed up all night, making sure he returned from the basement in one piece.

Remus woke again around 7 and immediately began packing the trunk that was wedged at the top of his wardrobe that had collected 12 years worth of dust; the same trunk Remus had used when he was packing for Hogwarts as a student. He folded in his old robes and wizard-acceptable clothes- most of which were torn and ripped with old age; but it was a sacrifice he was willing to make if it meant he could get Liv her own new school robes.

"How long do we have?"

Kaia had woke, and watched Remus sadly from where she was knelt up in bed. They were away from each other often- but never for more than a month at a time. Defiantly never near a whole year, and it had dawned on Remus that he wouldn't be able to keep in touch, Kaia being a muggle without an owl. He looked at his watch.

"About 3 hours," Remus sighed, walking to the edge of the bed where Kaia wrapped her legs around his waist and pulled him on top of her with a teenage grin.

"Plenty of time then," Kaia smiled against Remus' lips, twisting her fingers around the waistband of his pyjama trousers.

━━━━━━━━