Part 32: No More Kid Stuff

I'm standing outside with Carl. While he's sitting on the stairs of the cell block, finishing building crutches for daddy.

Lori and Beth walk over to us. We all smile at each other.

"Alright!" Carl exclaims as he finishes the crutches.

We all walk into daddy and Beth's cell. He's laying down, but as soon as we show him the crutches; he is immediately wanting to try them out.

"Just take your time." Lori says.

"Daddy, don't push yourself." Beth urged.

With our help we get him out of the bed and onto the crutches.

"What else am I going to do? I can't stand looking at the bottom of that bunk. Whoa." He struggles a bit at first, but with our help he manages. "You know? I can go pretty steady."

"That's a good start. Want to take a rest?" Lori asks him.

"Rest? Let's go for a little stroll." He smiles, we all smile back at him.

We all walk out into the courtyard of the prison, and in the distance I notice the other group members are parking cars to secure the fences I'm assuming.

"I got you here if you need it." Lori tells daddy as she and Beth help support him. I walk by Carl's side.

"Just take your time on those steps." Beth warns as the help him down them.

"You cleared all those bodies out? It's startin' to look like a place we could really live in." Dad states.

"I agree daddy." I smile at him.

He smiles back and nods.

"Hey, you watch your step. Last thing we need is you falling." Lori warns. I'm sure daddy is getting tired of all the coddling but I don't blame them, they're just trying to be careful.

"Alright, Hershel!" I hear someone yell. I look over at the group and realize it was Glenn that yelled it. Giggling, I waved at him. him, Rick and Daryl waved back.

Dad is still walking with the help of Beth and Lori. Carl looks over at daddy.

"Ready to race, Hershel?" He jokes, I grin.

"You give me another day, I'll take you on." Daddy replies, making me and the others giggle.

I look back at the other group members and see them all smiling. What a happy moment.

Suddenly my mood changes when I hear familiar groans coming from behind me. I turn around.

"Walkers!" I yell. Catching the others attention.

I turn and see the men starting to run toward the court yard obviously having seen the herd also, but they are forced to go around the fences.

Lori shoots a walker, while Daddy tries to run away. I quickly grip Carl's hand, scared for the both of us.

Beth and Dad are going inside the prison. Beth opens the door. Dad has trouble walking up the stairs, when a walker ends up behind him.