Part 22: "Sorry Brother"

Next day

    So, Rick and the others have decided it would be best if we executed Randell today. Shane seems really satisfied with that verdict, a psycho like him would be it's what he wanted from the beginning. Dale thinks it was the wrong decision said the group is broken. I listened in on the meeting that they had earlier.

    Also, Carl left into the woods earlier today, after stealing a gun from Daryl's motorcycle; I told him that was probably a bad idea. I would've went with him, mad at him but still wanting him to be safe, but he insisted that he wanted to go alone. I wasn't gonna argue with him.

    When he came back he looked startled, it made me a little concerned. I made a mental note to ask him about it later in the day.

    Everyone was in the house, apart from Rick, Shane, Daryl, and T-dog who were getting ready to go execute Randell. And, Dale went out for a walk. I was in my room by myself reading a book. Having nothing else to do.

    I hear a knock on my door, and look up from my book.

    "Who is it?" I ask.

    "It's Carl." I hear an answer shouted back through the door, I roll my eyes and set the book down. I'm still mad at him for yesterday, and getting us into trouble by going to see Randell. My dad didn't yell at me but I had gotten an earful from Maggie.

"Come in"

He opens the door and comes inside. "Mackenzie I'm sorry." He says.

"For?" I ask.

"You know what for."

"Yeah, I do, but I wanna know that we're on the same page. You need to say'I'm sorry for...' and then say whatever you're sorry for. Makes apologies more believable." I wink.

"Fine, I'm sorry for what happened with Randell. And, for getting you into trouble." He apologizes, and I nod.

"You're forgiven." I say, he sighs with relief. "I do have a question though."

    "What?"

    "What happened in the woods earlier today?"

    "I just saw a walker stuck in mud. That's all."

    "You kill it?"

    "No, I threw rocks at it, and it got loose, scared me."

    "You're telling me you stole a gun from Daryl, and you just ran off." He nods. "Then what was the point." He shrugs looking a bit hurt.

    "I guess there wasn't one. I'm such a coward." He looks to the floor, and I sigh.

    "No you're not." He looks up at me. "You're not Carl. You just weren't ready."

    "Yeah, I guess I just want to kill my first walker. Prove to everyone that I'm not just a kid."

    "Being a kid isn't as bad as you make it out to be. We should enjoy it while we can, because it'll be no time at all before we'll be forced to grow up. Living in this type of world that is." I pick my book back up, as he walks over to my window. "And, killing a walker isn't as great as you make it sound either."