Part 3: Just Let Me Help!

When I woke up later from my nap. I walked down to the kitchen to get a drink. As I'm fixing my drink I hear Daddy, Rick and Lori talking in the dining room. I listen from the kitchen.

    "Okay you've done this procedure before?" Lori says.

    "Well yes...In a sense." Daddy replies.

    "In a sense?" She says, and I can practically hear her looking at Dad like he grew a second head.

    I'm opening the fridge, and as it closes it makes a noise. I guess it alerted them of my presence in the next, not like I was trying to keep that from happening though.

    "Mackenzie is that you in there?" Daddy yells.

    "Yes daddy, I was just grabbing a drink." I answer back.

    "Can you grab a cup of orange juice for Rick darlin', he's given a lot of blood he needs it."

    "Yeah daddy." I answer and they continue their conversation.

    "Well honey, we don't have the luxury of shopping for a surgeon." Rick tells his wife. I make the cup of orange juice, grab a water, and a book.

    "No I understand that. But, you are a doctor right?" Lori asks Dad. As I walk into the dining room.

    I set the orange juice on the table beside where Rick is standing. He nods his thanks to me, and I nod back. I sit down in the chair beside daddy.

    "Yes ma'am, of course. A vet." Daddy answers Lori's question as I'm doing so.

    "A veteran? A combat medic?" She asks.

    "No a veterinarian." I say looking at her. She looks at me wide eyed. I guess it came out kind of rude or something, cause daddy nudges my shoulder looking down at me. I was just saying what I thought was obvious.

    "Yes, I was a veterinarian." Daddy said looking back at Lori. Who looks at him. Eyes still as wide as saucers.

    She looks at daddy for a second, then looks at Rick. Then, she looks back to daddy. I just look at my book.

    "And, you've done this surgery before on what? Cows? Pigs?" She asks not believing what she's hearing. It's not like she has any choice though I don't see anyone else around here with any medical experience.

    I look to Rick. He's pale, and looks like he's sick or about to faint.

    "I-- I have--I have to sit." He says suddenly, and I jump when he goes light headed and falls into the chair. Knocking over the orange juice. It gets on the blouse I'm wearing, but I'm not concerned about that.

    Lori and Dad go to aid Rick. Daddy stands up and sighs, as Lori picks up the glass that fell.

    I knew he passed out because of the blood transfusions he's already had two. And, I have the same blood type so I walk over to daddy.

    "Daddy you should let me do the next blood transfusion for the boy." I say to daddy. Making him, Lori, and Rick to look at me.

    "No." He says not even thinking about it.

    "Why not! I have the same blood type as both of 'em. And, Rick just fainted, because he gave too much."

    "I said no Mackenzie, your only twelve. Your too young I won't allow it."

    "No daddy, I can do just one! Just so Rick can get himself together, and healthier for the next one he does." I try to reason.

    "It isn't your problem Mackenzie, and I said no. Why do you want to anyway, your scared of needles."

    "Cause maybe I want to help, and now I can. If only you just let me. You never let me! If I've learned anything this past few months its that there are far worse things to be afraid of other than needles now." I say I know daddy is getting mad at me for back talking, but I didn't care in that moment.

    " You know if you would've let me go with Shawn and mama that day. I probably coulda done somethin' to help, and they could still be alive!" I shout feeling angry. But, I regretted what I said after I said it, but I didn't let it show. Beth walked by as I said that.

    "Mack! Don't say that stuff!" She scolded. I just ignored her and kept looking at Dad.

    Daddy just looked me in the eyes. Face angry. I could tell what I said hit him hard. And, Finally he spoke.

    "Or you probably would've died with 'em, and I wouldn't have just lost a wife and stepson. I woulda lost a daughter too! Now go to your room!" Daddy shouted, and he never shouted at me before.

    I had tears in my eyes as I huffed, and walked to my room. Passing Rick and Lori in the process. They both just gave me sad eyes and a small sympathy smiles. I knew that was awkward for them.

    I run up to my room like daddy ordered me to. With tears falling. I take off my sticky, orange juice covered blouse, and put on a clean red t-shirt.

    I throw myself on my bed and scream into my pillow. Why can't anyone let me help, and not just treat me like a kid!

Well, that was a little intense with the argument between Hershel, and Mackenzie. I thought it might show a little but of rebellious attitude, or trait. Things just aren't going in her favor right now. She just wants to help!🙃
Did you like this chapter?
  Please comment if there is anything I can improve on.🤷🏻‍♀️😁

Pls comment and vote.😘
(Who's your favorite Greene family member? Beth, Maggie, or Hershel and why?)