Part 12: Family Secret Comes Out

It was morning time, and despite my daddy wanting me to eat breakfast inside with them, I talked him into letting me eat outside with Carl and his group.

    I was sitting beside Carl, eating a breakfast of eggs that Carol, a woman with very short grey hair, was preparing over a fire. Rick and Lori were sitting on the other side of Carl. The sound of the fire crackling, Carol scraping the pan, and Andrea sharpening her knife could be heard, as no one was really talking. Until Lori spoke to Rick.

    "Hey where'd you go?" She whispered to him, kissing him on the cheek, and running her hands through his hair.

    "I'm still here." He replies looking over at her.

    They just look at each other, as Carol walks over to Daryl and gives him some of the eggs. I look around the group and see Glenn staring over at the porch.

    I look to see what he's looking at. I then see my oldest sister; Maggie standing on the porch, looking right back at Glenn, and looks like she is shaking her head no at him. Why?

    She looks at me and waves. I wave back.

    I see Glenn stand, and walk over to the center of the group. Looking at the barn as he does so. Oh no! Glenn please don't say what I think your about to.

    "So, the barn is full of walkers." He says, making everyone look to him. I stop eating and look away from everyone, shaking my head.

    I stand up abruptly feeling uncomfortable being there as they are hearing about this for the first time. I knocked my plate to the ground accidentally when I stood up. Bringing unwanted attention to me. Most of the group members looking angry, which scared me more.

    I didn't want them asking me about it or directing their anger at me. So, I look to Carl and shake my head. Mouthing "I'm sorry" to him, 'cause I know daddy now most likely won't let them stay, and also not wanting him mad at me.

    I start walking away fast in the direction of my house. Shane tries to stop me by grabbing my arm, but I jerk away and dodge him in time, and start running to Maggie who is still on the porch.

    On the way, I hear Shane shout after me. And, then I hear what sounds like Rick, Lori, and Dale telling him to "Back off the kid" or "let her go".

    I walk up the porch steps. Maggie walks up to me and puts her arms on my shoulders.

    "What happened? Are you okay?" She asks me obviously concerned by the way I walked off from the group.

    "I'm okay Maggie. But, how did Glenn find out about the barn?!" I say.

    "He told everyone?" She asks.

    "Yes, how'd he know Maggie?"

    "He saw them."

    "They're mad Maggie." I say matter of factly. Scared.

    "I know Mackenzie. Just, don't tell Dad. Let me take care of everything." She asks of me. I just look at her for a second unsure. She grabs my hand and gives it a reassuring squeeze. Or an attempt of one. 'Cause it didn't work that well.

    "Okay." I say, meekly. Giving a small nod. She nods back and walks into the house.

I sit down on the porch in time to see the group walk over to the barn.

Shane looks into the barn, then the men started yelling. When things calmed down, I decided to go down there, and explain things a little more. Even though I know Maggie wanted to handle things and wouldn't want me to.

As I get close, I hear Dale say this to the group,

"Hershel sees those things as people... sick people."

"You knew?" Shane and Rick say, obviously angry, making me happy he hasn't noticed me yet.

"Yesterday I talked to Hershel." Dale explained. I'm surprised daddy told anyone.

"And you waited the night?" Shane says.

"I thought we could survive one more night. We did. I was waiting till this morning to say something. But Glenn wanted to be the one."

"He's right." I say making them know I was there. Shane turned and looked at me with hatred. I gulp. "My Dad believes the walkers in there are sick people. And, he wants to keep them safe in there until they find a cure...if they find a cure." I say.

"You know that they aren't though right. They're dead." Daryl says, making Carol smack his arm, and Shane nod. I felt a pang of sadness in my chest, it was the first time hearing someone say that. I nod, tearing up a little.

"I do. But, everyone else in my family, except for Maggie maybe, believes that they can be helped, be cured back into the people they were. And...I want to believe that too. My mama is in there. My big brother." I say sniffing trying not to cry in front of these people. They all, aside from Shane, look at me with sympathy.

"I'm sorry." Rick says to me putting a hand on my shoulder.

"The man is crazy, Rick, if Hershel thinks those things are alive or no." Shane says, walking towards me and Rick. I flinch back, and Rick looks at me and squeezed my shoulder reassuringly mouthing "your fine".

"Shane enough." Lori says feeling bad that I have to hear him.

Suddenly the barn doors start to shake. The walkers were pushing against it. It made me gasp and jump away from it, as me and Rick were the closest. Rick just turns around and looks at it.

I jump again when I hear daddy yell for me. I look to see him on the porch of the house with Maggie and Patricia beside him.

"Mackenzie get up here now!" He yells.

"I'm sorry you couldn't have known sooner." I say looking up to Rick. He nods and pats my back telling me to head on over to my father.

I really hope everything gets sorted out.

Hey, hope you enjoyed the 12 chapter. Again I'm sorry I didn't update sooner. I've had a long two weeks.
If you liked this chapter please vote, comment, and share it with your friends. Thank you! ❤️
I think the picture of Hershel's barn at the top is so pretty! Just saying lol😂😊
(Chapter ?👇)
If you could bring any character from the show back from the dead who would it be and why?