Part 21: Caught

I was sitting on the porch. Some of the adults a short distance away from me. After what happened with me seeing Daryl torture Randell, I was shaken up.

    Both Maggie and Patricia have asked me if I was okay. To which I had said I was fine.

    Of course I know Daryl wouldn't hurt me, and yeah I can't say that he didn't look like a guy that would do that. But, I've never seen anyone be tortured like that. How's a twelve year old supposed to act?

    Also, after hearing the story that Randell told. I don't think I can still feel very bad for him anymore. And, that probably scares me most.

    I see Daryl walk out of the barn, and start towards the adults. I stand up and walk into the house. I find Maggie standing with a majority of the adults in Rick's group. I walk over to her and she puts her arms around my shoulders.

"So, what you gonna do? We'd all feel better if we knew the plan." Shane says to Rick. "Is there a plan? We gonna keep him here?"

"We'll know soon enough." Rick replies as Daryl walks in. They look over to him.

"Boy there's got a gang, 30 men. They have heavy artillery and they ain't looking to make friends." Daryl informs as he reached them. I look at his bloody knuckles. "They roll through here, our boys are dead. And our women, they're gonna-- They're gonna wish they were."

"What did you do?" Carol asks Daryl, looking at his bloody knuckles just as I had.

"Had a little chat." He responds to her question.

"No one goes near this guy." Rick orders, then starts to walk away.

"Rick, what are you gonna do?" Lori calls, making him turn back around.

"We have no choice. He's a threat. We have to eliminate the threat." He answers. My eyes go wide.

"You're just gonna kill him?" I ask. The adults look at me.

Rick looks at me with a facial expression saying he didn't want me to hear this or he didn't know I was there.

"It's settled. I'll do it today." He says, then walks away. Dale running after him.

I look up at Maggie. And she has a sad look. Then I look over at Daryl. He meets my gaze, and he nods me over. I say bye to Maggie and walk over to Daryl, knowing he wants to talk about everything I saw earlier.

"Yeah?" I ask. Despite already knowing.

"Mackenzie, what ya saw in the barn-" he starts but I cut him off.

"It's fine Daryl."

"No. Ya weren't supposed to see that."

"But, I did. Can't change it, I'm sorry."

"I know. I just don't want ya to think I'm that type of person. A person that just beats on people, I didn't like doin' it Mackenzie. I had to do it for the group though." He explains, I just nod. "Ya ain't scared of me?"

"No, never was." I say shaking my head. "I think Randell's story is what scared me."

"Ya just need to stay away from him. Ya hear me?" He asks, I nod. "Nobody's gonna let him touch ya. Ya promise me?" I nod again.

"Thank you Daryl." I say, and hug him. He stiffens but then relaxed. He doesn't hug back, but let's me hug him.

"Alright, nuff of that." He says, then pats my back. I pull away.