Part 14: Mama!

After confessing to Carl about my mom and brother. I had avoided him. I was embarrassed that I got emotional in front of him, and I didn't want him to ask me questions.

    Plus, I was worried about daddy, Rick, and Jimmy leaving earlier today. I know their going to get more walkers to put in the barn. More 'people' daddy 'knows'. In reality it's just more 'monsters' in the corpses of people daddy 'knew'.

    I know them bringing new walkers back, is not gonna go down well with the people in Rick's group. That Shane guy wasn't very happy when he found out about the barn. Imagine what'll happen when he sees them bringing more. Or, seeing his best friend bringing the things with them. Shane scares me.

    While I'm walking and thinking, Maggie walks up to me.

    "Hey Mack, you wanna come collect the eggs with me?" She asks me. I nod. I love helping out around the farm, I mean I've grown up on it so that's a given.

    We walk down to the chicken coops. We grab a basket each, and start putting all the eggs in them. We did that in silence until I couldn't help it anymore and had to ask Maggie my question. Not sure if she'd answer, and not sure how she'd feel about it.

    "Do you believe what daddy says about 'em?" I ask her.

    "What'd ya mean?" She asks in reply.

    "About mama, and Shawn." I specify.

    "Kind of, do you?"

    "I don't know, I don't think so. I'd never tell daddy though, he'd get more mad at me." I say looking down afraid she'll get mad at me herself, I look up and she looks taken aback.

    "It's your own belief, I'm not gonna say he'll be happy with it at first, but he'll learn to accept it." Maggie reassures me, but I can still tell she wasn't expecting that answer. I nod.

    I turn around and see Glenn walking over. She looks and she groans, and rolls her eyes. I giggle at her reaction. She is angry with him.

    She just continues collecting eggs. When he reaches us he sees me.

    "Hey Mackenzie." He says nodding at me.

    "Hey." I say back. I'm kinda upset with him too, but not as much as Maggie. What happened, happened best I just get over it.

    "Maggie." He says trying to get her attention, she ignores him. "Hey, Maggie just talk to me." She ignores him again.

    I can see her look at an egg. I look closer and can see it's rotten.

    "Hey, Maggie." Glenn tries again. She turns around this time, with the rotten egg in hand. Oh no.

    "Give me your hat." He gives her a questioning look. "You said talk to you, I'm talking to you. Give me your hat." She demands again.

    He hands Maggie his hat. She takes the rotten egg, puts it in his hat, and puts it back on his head making sure to crack the egg and make the yolk go all over him. I cover my mouth to hold back a laugh. He looks disgusted.

    "Why would you waste an egg like that?" He asked Maggie.

    "I think it was rotten." She says and walks away. He just stands in place shocked and dumbfounded. I finally just let it go, and I laugh really hard. He looks at me and he then playfully punches my shoulder.