Part 8: Question Game

I was tending to the chickens. That and helping with dinner and the dishes are the chores that I have always had to do everyday. Yeah, daddy and mama would ask me to do other things, but those were the things I absolutely had to get done everyday. I would always run off and play, and get in trouble for not doing them. I even used to try and get my older siblings to do them for me. I giggle at the memories.

     I finished with the chickens, which meant I was done for the day until it was time to cook dinner. I needed to let daddy know so I looked around the farm for him.

    I saw him talking with some men in ricks group. Including Rick and Maggie was there too. I ran up to them. When I got close I tripped and fell forward. I thought I was gonna face plant, but I hit someone which broke my fall.

    The man I ran into turned around. I saw it was that redneck, I still didn't know his name.

"Watch it." He says and I back away and walk over. to daddy. They continue to talk.

"How long has this girl been lost?" Daddy asks Rick. Wait what girl.

    "This'll be day three." He answers. I'm really confused?.

    "What girl Dad?" I ask looking up at him.

    "Don't you worry about it sweet pea." Dad says and strokes my hair. "Hey why don't you go see if Beth needs any help in the house, or go check on Carl for me?"

    I nod my head and run off towards the house. I haven't seen Carl since last night, so I want to see him. I don't know why though.

When I get in his room he's sleeping.

I decide to check his vitals for daddy. I get a stethoscope from the side table. Daddy taught me how to use one a couple years ago. I check his heart, lungs and overall breathing. It sounds good. Then I look for a thermometer, I can't find one, so I just use the back of my hand.

As I'm checking his temperature to the best of my ability with my hand. He jerks away startling me. I take my hand away.

He looks at me, and I look at him. I don't really know what to say it's sort of awkward. I've never really talked to him before.

"Hey." I say and wave my hand slightly.

"Hey? Who are you?" He asks.

"I'm Mackenzie. Your in my house your group brought you here. You got hurt." I say. Hopefully he hasn't lost his memory.

"Oh yeah I saw you before I think." He says and I nod my head. "Your the old mans daughter right?" He asks making me giggle.

"Yeah my daddy is the old man." I say still giggling.

He laughs and nods his head. Then he tries to sit up some more, but then stops and grunts in pain from his gunshot wound.

"Hey take it easy. You don't want to hurt yourself more." I say as I grab his arm to help him sit up. I sit beside him.

"How old are you?" He asks me.

"12." I answer. "How about you?"

"Same age. Do you wanna play a game? I'm bored."