Part 18: Maniac

The next day, daddy, Glenn, and Rick came back with another guy named Randell. His leg was hurt real bad, so daddy performed surgery on it, and he's now being kept prisoner in the barn.

Me and Carl were sitting on both sides of Lori at the table, while the adults had the discussion on what to do with Randell.

"We couldn't just leave him behind. He would've bled out, if he lived that long." Rick says to them, from beside me.

"It's gotten bad in town." Glenn says.

"What do we do with him?" Andrea questions, from beside Shane at the window.

"I repaired his calf muscle as best I can, but he'll probably have nerve damage. Won't be on his feet for at least a week." Daddy announced walking into the room. Wiping his hands with a washcloth.

"When he is, we give him a canteen, take him out to the main road, send him on his way." Rick says. I shake my head, that's inhumane.

"Isn't that the same as leaving him for the walkers?" Andrea argues, and I agree with her.

"She's right." I say looking up at Rick. Lori shushes me, and pats my shoulder.

"He'll have a fighting chance." Rick reassures.

"Just gonna let him go? He knows where we are." Shane says. He's not wrong.

"He was blindfolded the whole way here. He's not a threat." Rick says, sounding annoyed at Shane.

"Not a threat. How many of them were there?" Shane counters. I see Daryl walk into the house and into the room. "You killed three of their men, you took one of them hostage, but they just ain't gonna come looking for him?" Shane says sarcastically.

"They left him for dead. - No one is looking." Rick snaps at Shane.

"We should still post a guard." T-dog suggests breaking up whatever argument that was going to happen between the two men.

"He's out cold right now, will be for hours." Daddy informs. But, then Shane cuts in, interrupting anything else daddy was gonna say.

"You know what? I'm gonna go get him some flowers and candy." He jokes starting to walk away, clearly pissed of. Then he scoffs. "Look at this, folks... We back in fantasy land."

"You know, we haven't even dealt with what you did at my barn yet." My dad turns and calls after Shane making the man stop and look at him. "Let me make this perfectly clear, once and for all...This is my farm. Now I wanted you gone. Rick talked me out of it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. So do us both a favor... Keep your mouth shut." He snaps, he's very angry.

    Rick sighs, he walks up to daddy, patting me on the shoulder as he passed me. I guess I seemed distressed from all this arguing.

    "We're not gonna do anything about it today. Let's just cool off." Rick says to Dad.

    I get up and walk out of the house quickly. Lori and Maggie call after me, concerned about my well-being. I walk over beside the RV, and sit down on the ground. Picking at the grass, lost in thought.

    I look over at the barn. Randell is in there. It feels wrong, keeping him hostage, and I know some people want him dead.

    I see Shane walking over to me, from the direction of the woods. Shane has always scared me, so I quickly stand up in case I need to run from him. I look up when he reaches me.