Part 11: Guns

I was sitting down on the porch steps watching the men, over by a truck. They were talking about looking for that Sophia girl. I can't hear them, it's just all they ever really talk about, around here.

    Jimmy walks over to them, and him and Rick talk to one another. They finish talking and Jimmy comes to sit by me on the porch step.

    "What did you and Rick talk about?" I ask him.

    "I asked if I could go with 'em to gun training." He says.

    "You don't know how to use a gun?"

    "Not really. Otis was really the only one that knew how to. Why? Do you?"

    "Oh, no I don't. Daddy wouldn't ever let me touch one, let alone shoot one."

    "Do ya wanna learn how?"

   "I don't know if I'd want to. Guns kinda scare me anyway."

   "I don't think it's guns, you should be afraid of nowadays. You should try and talk your daddy into letting you go." Jimmy says and then walks off, ending the conversation.

    I sit alone in my thoughts for a few minutes. Then, I see Carl run into the RV, and then run out carrying something. It looked like he was trying to keep it hidden. He walked away from the group of people, so I follow him.

He stops by the horse stables, and looks at the thing in his hands.

"Hey, Carl what are ya up to?" I ask wondering what he is doing. He jumps when I speak, and tries to keep whatever he's holding out of my view. Okay. He's doing something he's not supposed to. I think mentally rolling my eyes.

    "Oh hey Mackenzie." He says quickly. Turning around and adjusting to where his hands are behind his back.

    "What do ya have Carl?" I question.

    "Nothing."

    "Oh, yeah that explains why your hiding your hands behind your back. You think I'm stupid? What do ya have?"

    He sighs,

    "You can't tell my parents Mackenzie."

    "Depends on what it is. Now come on, show me." I say.

    He reluctantly nods and brings his hands out from behind his back. Revealing to me, that he has a handgun.

    "What do ya have a gun for Carl?" I ask him.

    "I want to learn how to shoot." He answers. "I'm gonna ask Shane to teach me."

    "They're all going gun training today. Why don't you just go with them? Your dad is going I think."

    "I don't know if he would let me. And, I know my mom wouldn't let me for sure."

    "Then why would you. I'd rather wait until they'd think I'm old enough rather than getting in trouble for doing it anyway now."

    "What will they do? Ground me?"

    "They'll obviously do something if you don't want me to tell 'em."

    "I'm just gonna go ask Shane. Promise that you won't say anything?" He asks as he starts to walk, and go find Shane. I walk with him.

    "Fine. I won't tell. And, I guess I'll go with you to ask Shane about it." I say.

    "Why?"

    "Ain't got nothing better to do."

    He nods his head. We then walk around the farm looking for Shane. When we find him Carl runs over to him, with me following close behind.