Part 7: Otis

Dad done the operation on Carl. It was successful, We're just waiting for him to wake up.

Otis didn't make it back with Shane. He died. Patricia was so upset. I don't blame her it was her husband.

The rest of Carl's group came to the farm. There was a blonde woman named Andrea she seems like a bitch don't tell Dad i said that though, a old man named Dale, a woman with short grey hair named Carol, and a redneck. I don't know his name though.

I'm in the kitchen cleaning, while they get ready for the funeral. I don't like funerals they are so sad. I don't see why we have to go to them.

I'm gonna miss Otis though. He's been a friend of my family's for as long as I can remember. I don't wanna lose anyone else.

Maggie walks into the kitchen. I look over at her.

"Hey Mack." She greets.

"Hey Maggie." I say in return.

"How are ya doing?" She asks me.

"I'm fine. I just don't want to go to the funeral."

"Why?"

"I never liked 'em. They're too sad. I just don't wanna go to another one Maggie." I say as I look down to my hands. She walks closer to me.

"I understand that it is sad. I do, but we still have to pay our respects. Patricia wants us there. She needs us." Maggie replies. Stroking my hair.

"Yeah I know." I say as a stray tear rolls down my cheek.

Maggie saw and brings me into a hug. She keeps me there. I start to cry harder.

"It's not fair Maggie." I sob.

"What isn't fair?" She asks me. Rubbing my back.

"Everyone is dying. First all the people on the news, then mama and Shawn, and now Otis. I don't wanna lose anyone else."

"Oh I know. Baby sis, but you still got me, Beth, Patricia, and daddy" she says, and I nod my head. I look up at her.

"Maggie?"

"Yeah Mack?"

"Please promise you won't leave me. Promise you won't die."

"I'll do everything I can to keep it from happening. But, you know I can't promise that."

I just nod my head. I do know that. Now a days you never know when someone is gonna go. There isn't really a way to be ready for it.

"Come on now let's go to the funeral." Maggie orders to me. We get up and go to where daddy and everyone else are. I stood beside Maggie and Patricia, and watched Dad preach.

"Blessed be God, father of our lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to him for the gift of our brother Otis, for his span of years, for his abundance of character; Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset. We thank you, God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in Grace." Dad says.

"Shane can you speak for Otis?" Daddy asks the man, he is wearing Otis's overalls. Who just shakes his head.

"I'm not very good at it. I'm sorry." He answers. Patricia looks to him.

"You were the last one with him. You shared his final moments. Please. I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning." She begs of him. He hesitates then nods his head.

"Okay. We were about done, almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols by then. I was limping, It was bad. Ankle all swollen up. 'We've got to save the boy', see that's what he said." Shane says. I look up at the redneck, he is looking at Shane weird. Like he knows Shane isn't telling the truth or something. Shane continues.

"He gave me his backpack. He shoved me ahead. 'Run', he said,'I'll take the rear. I'll cover you.' And when I looked back..." he trails off," If not for Otis, I'd have never made it out alive. And, that goes for Carl too. If any death had meaning it was his." Shane finishes, and places a rock on Otis's grave. I don't know if I believe him.

Otis died.😕 Looks like Mackenzie doesn't trust Shane.
This update was kinda short sry. Hope you liked it still.❤️
Pls comment and vote! Thank you 😊

(Did you like Otis in the show?)