Part 27: Close Call

I screamed at the top of my lungs, once I turned and came face to face with a walker who grabbed tight hold of my shirt.

    I scream as the male walker tugs on my shirt jerking me forward. It's much larger than my small stature.

    "Help!" I scream. "Maggie! Rick! Help,Dad!" I scream for multiple people, hoping for one of them to get there quickly, who ever came first I would be happy with either way. I start to cry from fear and frustration at the dead man who was overpowering me. I hear people from the group shouting my name and running to me.

   I cry out in pain as I fall to the ground, hitting my hip hard in the process. I scream loud when the walkers mouth came close to the flesh of my shoulder, as I tried my best to hold it back, with my skinny arms. "Help me!"

    Just as I thought I was done for, the walker was ripped away from me, and I was jerked up and into someone. I immediately wrapped my arms tightly around them, not caring or knowing who it was. Just happy with knowing it wasn't a walker trying to eat me.

    I feel them wrap their arms around me and pick me up, rubbing my back, and allowing me to cry into their shoulder. I had a feeling it was one of the guys because, I'm a bit malnourished and small but not small enough for any of the other girls to pick me up like he had.

I hear a crossbow shoot, and a thud as the walker falls dead, it's frightening groans silencing. Indicating that Daryl had killed it.

I had stopped crying. The person who picked me up set me down, and let me go. It was then I saw Rick kneeled down to my height. Seeing that it was him, and Glenn that made it to me first, I'm guessing Glenn pulled the walker away and Daryl shot it once he got close enough, due to him still being a bit farther back than them.

"You okay?" Rick asks me, I nod. And sniffle. He used the pad of his thumb and wiped tears off my face that had fallen, surely that were leaving visible streaks on my dirty cheeks.

"Guess we missed that one." T-dog points out The obvious.

I feel someone else's hand on my arm. And I flinch and look in its direction, still startled from what had just happened.

"It's okay, it's just me." Maggie says quickly. I immediately wrap my arms around her in a hug. She hugs back but then pulls away. "Why were you away from the group, you better be glad you were in shouting distance!" She scolded.

"I'm sorry, I zoned out." I apologize.

"It's okay. I'm just glad you're okay. You gave me a heart attack." Maggie said. Pulling me into another hug.

"I think she gave everyone a heart attack." I hear Carol state.

"Are you hurt Mack? Do you have any bites or scratches?" Maggie questions as she pulls away. I shrug.

"I don't think so. I'm not sure." I say. Maggie's eyes go wide when I say that.

Her and Rick start looking at my arms and legs, looking me over for any bites or scratches.

"I don't see any." Maggie says.

"Neither do I." Rick says. Maggie touches my side and I flinch, making the group look concerned.

"My hip hurts." I all but whine. Grabbing onto Maggie's shoulder to keep me up, as I was losing balance as they were looking for injuries, and because of the dull pain in my hip. Daddy comes over and lifts my shirt a bit and looks at my hip.

"No bite or scratch, just a big ole bruise though. Must of hit your hip really hard." He observed. "Does it hurt now, or just when it gets pushed on?"

"Hurts a little bit now." I answer.

"I'll carry you inside." Rick says.

"Are you sure?" I ask.

"Yeah, then your dad can check it out some more." He replies. "So we can all go get settled in." He says as he picked me up with one arm under my knees and one behind my back.

I wrap my arms around his neck afraid he'd drop me. As we walked into a cell block followed by the rest of the group. As we walk I see T-dog pulling dead walkers out of the said cell block.

"What do you think?" Rick asks everyone, adjusting me in his arms, guess I'm getting heavier.

"Home sweet home." I hear Glenn say.

"For the time being."

"It's secure?" Lori questions.

"This cell block is." Rick answers her with a smile.

"What about the rest of the prison?" Daddy asks next.

"In the morning, we'll find the cafeteria, and the infirmary."

"We'll sleep in the cells?" Beth asks. Rick nods and says,

"I found the keys on some guards. Daryl has a set too."

"I ain't sleeping in no cage. I'll take the perch." Daryl says gruffly. Everyone then walks off to get their cells.

I hear Lori thank Rick, but he just walks away without answering her. He walks up the stairs and into an empty cell apart from Carl being in there as well.

"How about you two share a cell? Pretty sure you're both friends aren't you?" Rick asks.

"Yeah dad, we are. I'm gonna go see if there's anything anyone needs help with." Carl says smiling. "Hope your hip feels better Kenzie."

I didn't understand why everyone was being so weird about it. Yeah it hurt a little bit, it's not like I'm dying though, doubt anything is broken.

"Thanks." I say back to him regardless. And then he walks away.

"Alright sweetheart. I'm gonna set you down on the bed, and get your dad to come check your hip out." Rick said softly, as he goes to set me down. In the process accidentally touching the bruise on my side.

"Ow!" I hiss. He lets go of me, and instantly apologizes. "It's fine, not really a big deal, I'm sure it's just a bruise."

"Yeah. I'm sure it is too." Rick chuckles. "Can never be too careful though. Right?"

"Right."

"I'll go get your dad alright."

He leaves the cell. As I get comfortable in the bunk bed, and think about the incident that I had. Thanking god it was just a close call.

Hope you liked chapter 27! Please leave a comment, and a vote. Let me know what you want to see in the future. Like any specific characters you want Kenzie to have scenes with.🤷🏻‍♀️

Chapter? 👇Gonna do two cause I forgot the last time.

1. What is your favorite quote from the Walking Dead?
2. What walker in the show scared you the most?