Part 30: For Granted

*Mackenzie's POV*

Maggie went with Glenn, back to the cell they have dad laid up in. I took a nap in the cell that belongs to Carl and I.

When I woke up I go to see where everyone is. Lori is sitting on the prison steps, looking like she is in thought, Beth is in her cell writing in her diary. I'm not sure where Carl is.

I see Carol and Glenn walk out of the cell dad is in. They walk away talking to one another. I decide to walk to the cell assuming Maggie is still in there. But stop when I hear her talking.

"Dad? You don't have to fight anymore." She stops starting to cry, but then continues. "If you're worried about me, Kenzie, and Beth, don't. Don't worry about us. We'll take care of each other, we'll look out, me, Beth, Mackenzie and Glenn we'll look out. Go ahead, dad, it's okay. Be peaceful. You don't have to fight! If it's time to go, it's okay. I just want to thank you. For everything, thank you."

Tears start falling down my face, and I shake my head. Maggie isn't supposed to be giving up. She's supposed to be telling me and Beth everything will be okay. And that he will be okay. But, she has lost all hope. Makes me think I should too. But...I don't want to! I already lost my mom! I can't lose dad. I don't think I could handle losing daddy too.

I don't continue walking to the cell. I turn around and run back to my own. Wincing at the pain in my hip from running and the fresh bruise. Tears never ceasing. I hear someone call my name and follow after me.

I don't see who it is though before I bury my head in the pillow, and cry out of sadness, anger, and frustration. The person just sits and gently rubs my back letting me cry.

When my cries turn to sniffles, I turn to see Lori sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Lori?" I ask her.

"Yeah, sweetie?" She replies softly.

"My dad is going to die, isn't he?" I look down.

"I can't promise anything right now." She says making me frown. "But, your dad is a strong man. He'll fight for you girls. And, i also don't think it's time to give up hope yet." She smiles at me.

"Maggie did." I say bitterly. Lori just smiles at me.

"Now don't be angry with your sister." She says. "After all, she is going through the same you are. She's scared, upset, worried, and stressed. People all deal with it different ways. I'm sure Maggie didn't mean anything she said."

I take it into consideration, and then I shrug and then nod.

"I guess you're right." I smile softly.

"Just talk to Maggie about how you feel, okay."

"Okay Lori. Thanks."

"It's no problem."

I look down at her pregnant belly. And I look back up at her.

"What if daddy ain't awake, by the time the baby comes I mean?." I ask her. She frowns. "Sorry." I say mad at myself for upsetting her.

"No, it's okay Kenzie. And we'll figure something out. It'll all work out okay." She replies and I just nod.

"It'll hurt won't it?"