Part 13: Emotional Confession

It's been a few hours since the group found out about the barn. I think Carl is upset with me for not telling him. I couldn't though!

    I'm walking around the farm alone. I see Carl sitting alone on the house porch steps. I walk over.

    "Hey Carl." I say trying to get him to talk to me, hoping he isn't that angry with me still.

    He doesn't say anything back. He's ignoring me!

    "Come on Carl! You know that I couldn't tell you." I say, he still ignores me. "Please Carl! I'm sorry. If I could have told you I would have. I promise you I would have." I plead with him.

    "Don't say that Mackenzie. You could've told me, you just decided to keep it all a secret." He said obviously angry. I scoff.

    "How would you know that. I would have Carl. Maggie told me to not tell y'all anything when you found out. But, I did. I walked down to the barn with you guys and I did. I'm so sorry I didn't tell you earlier."

    "How do I know that your not just lying to me again."

    "Carl I haven't known you for very long. But, your the only kid my age I've seen on the farm in a long time. And even though we haven't known each other long. You're already my best friend. Trust me, I didn't want to keep things from you, and I promise I won't do it again if I don't have to." I say and he looks at me like he's considering my apology. He nods his head.

"Okay. I forgive you." He says and I sigh with relief. "But why?"

"Why what?"

"Why do y'all keep them in there?"

"Did you not hear me earlier? My daddy thinks there is gonna be a cure. He thinks that we can help them."

"I heard you. It's just, you know that'll never happen right." He asks. I just look at him. "They're dead Mackenzie." He says when I'm silent for too long. I feel the sad pang in my heart again.

"I know, it's just my mama and Shawn. They're in there and I want to believe what daddy always says about 'em is true. That they'll come back." I say as tears start to fall from my eyes. "That my mom will come back, and she'll sing to me again, brush my hair, cook a meal, or even hug me. Or that Shawn will come back and pick on Maggie to make me and Beth laugh, protect me, tell me stories, or even give me a high five. They come back and our family will be complete. I know that their gone Carl, I know that they're never coming back and that's not gonna happen, but it's still hard to let them go." I finish in tears.

I never told anyone this before, how I felt. It was emotional, and now I was embarrassed. I hadn't realized I told Carl everything until I did, and I was breaking down right in front of him. This whole situation was making me think about Shawn and mama more than I wanted to.

"I'm sorry Mackenzie, I'm so stupid I should have just left it alone." He apologized. I shake my head.

"No it's fine Carl. It needed to be said out loud I guess. Maggie always tells me talking about things makes you feel better about it." I say trying to control myself, wiping my eyes and sniffling. Carl hugs me and we sit down.

    "Maybe killing the walkers in the barn is what needs to happen." Carl says after I calm down.

    "What do ya mean?"

    "Maybe killing the walkers will help you and your family move on. You said yourself that it's hard for you to let them go. Maybe them being here is why. Cause your dad is giving you false hope."

    "That makes a lot of sense Carl." I say looking over at him. "When did you get so smart dummy." I joked flicking his hat. He laughed as did I.

    "I don't know." He said still laughing. "Your mom sang to you?"

    "Yep." I sighed and laid my head on his shoulder.

    "Can you sing a song? Only if you want to. Beth had told me you sing sometimes." He says and I roll my eyes. Dang it Beth!

    "I guess I can." I say. Then start to sing my favorite song. While my head is still on his shoulder.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

I'll always love you and make you happy
If you will only say the same
But if you leave me and love another
You'll regret it all some day

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

You told me once, dear, you really loved me
And no one else could come between
But now you've left me and love another
You have shattered all of my dreams...

    As I'm singing I look up at Carl. He's looking over at the barn. He's actually pretty cute. I think to myself. But he'd never like me that way.

    Then still singing I look out beside the woods. I see Dad, Jimmy, and Rick walking out into them.

    I finish singing.

    "That was good. Your voice is pretty." He compliments. I nod my head and stand.

   "I'm tired I'm gonna go take a nap." I say.

    "Okay, see you later." He says. Then I walk away.

     I know what Rick, daddy, and Jimmy are going to do....and I don't want them to do it.

Hope you liked this chapter.
If you did please vote and comment on it.
Mackenzie has a crush!❤️😏
(Chapter ?👇)
What is your favorite walker kill from the show?