Part 25: Beauty In This World

{about 8 months later}

It's been a long time since the farm was overrun by the walkers.

We have been on the move, staying in houses every once in a while. But, never staying for a long amount of time.

Lori has gotten HUGE. Baby could come any day now. Which was sort of scary for me, so I can't imagine how she feels. I've noticed there has been a bit of tension between her and Rick also.

Carl and I are still best friends. He's been really trying to be tough and be an adult. Everyone has started to call me Kenzie, for short. While my sisters still call me Mack. Carl slips up a lot and calls me Mack too. Which has always been a sister thing, he apologizes every time but I don't really care at this point.

We are driving now. Me being in the same car as daddy, Maggie, and Beth. When Someone honks making the caravan stop in the middle of the road.

Maggie, T-dog, Daryl and daddy pull out a map and put it on the cars hood. Rick walks over. I'm sitting in the car, only with the door open to stretch my legs.

"We've got no place left to go." T-dog says frustratedly.

"When this herd meets up with this one, we'll be cut off, we'll never make it south." Maggie said pointing at the map.

"What do you say, it's about 150 head?" Daryl asks.

"That was last week, could be twice that now." Glenn stated to all of us.

"This river could have delayed them. If we move fast, we might have a shot to tear right through this." Daddy points at the map.

"Yeah, but if this group joins with that one, they could spill out this way." T-dog observed.

"So we're blocked?" I ask from my seat in the car. They look at me.

"Only thing to do is double back at 27th and swing towards Greenville." Rick says.

"We picked through that already, it's like we spent the winter going in circles." T-dog says.

"Yeah, I know. I know. At Newnan we'll push west. Haven't been through the area. We can't keep going house to house. He looks at Lori in the car We need to find some place to hold up for a few weeks."

"Alright. Is it cool if we get to the creek before we head out? It won't take long. We gotta fill up on water, we can boil it later."

"Knock yourself out." Rick nods to T-dog. Everyone but dad and Rick walk away. I'm picking dirt from under my nails, and waiting for someone to ask for my help with something.

"She can't take much more of this moving about." I hear daddy say to Rick.

"Well, what else can we do, let her give birth on the run?" Rick asks visibly frustrated. Daddy puts a hand on ricks shoulder.

"You see a way around that?"

Dad walks away. I just sit and softly sing to myself tired, bored, sad, and hungry.

I look up and match eyes with Rick. He rubs his face and walks over to me.

"How are you doing Kenzie?" He asked me, I'm not sure how to respond, haven't been asked that question in a while, and even though I'm not a hundred percent okay. I understand the rest of the group isn't either so I don't want to complain.