chapter 3

I walked inside and to my relief there Scarlet was sitting on the couch watching TV. Thank goodness. Please don't let this come true.

My foster dad came home an hour later and the house went deathly silence. I took Scarlet up to my room and we sat on my bed just trying to block out the screams of pain that came from our mum. Wait I called her mum, she was always protecting us and doing everything in her power to get us somewhere safe but the threats of her husband terrified her. I was sure that mum would do everything to protect us but I couldn't just sit there, hearing her horror felt screams, I had to do something but if I called the police would he then get out of control. I wasn't sure. Scarlet was just 13 and I am now 14 there is 1 and a half year age gap between us.

"Scarlet can you open the window please while I get my phone ?."

"No I won't leave mum."

"We are not leaving mum we are getting help."

"from who?"

"from the police."

"Why don't you just call them.?"

"Because I don't want sirens, dad will hear them and then who knows what he'll do. We are running out of time Scarlet dad will come up here and mum is already on the floor. If we are going to help we need to leave now for our protection and to help mum."

"ok Jake.

Scarlet opened the window and we worked our way down to the street, as soon as our feet hit the ground we ran, it was 7km till the nearest police station we knew time was important from the way dad was throwing stuff. He usually just yelled but he was doing much more and we knew that we had to run our fastest. We ran and ran until we reached the police station 1hr and a half later. We rushed in the door slipping on the tiles underneath our feet.

"Hey what are you kids doing.?"

"We need help replied Scarlet."

She was exhausted and scared, she wasn't one to show emotions but she broke down and started crying. I gave her a hug and found a seat away from most the people in the police station. The officer followed me and my sister to the seats and could see how distressed Scarlet was so he moved to a more secluded spot where a female officer took Scarlet to get something to drink.

"How long have you been running for? Asked the police officer.

"around an 1hr and a half officer, my foster dad has been hitting our mum usually he only shouts but she was on the floor crying and screaming. I didn't want to call because I didn't want him to hear sirens. I didn't want to leave but we need help I don't know how far he will go please send someone."

"I'm sending someone right now and we'll call an ambulance but for now, I think it would be safer for you and your sister to stay here."

"Will we be able to see mum? Asked Scarlet."

"Scarlet I thought you went with officer Christine."

"I refused I want to see mum when she is safe."

"I'm sorry Scarlet replied the officer but you can only see her tomorrow. Is there anyone I can call to have you for the night."

Me and Scarlet chatted weather it would be better to stay at Jason's or Clara's house. We decided on Jason's because there family knows our situation.

"yes you can call Jason Bryant."

The officer called and then dropped us off at his house. We knocked on the door and Mr and Mrs Bryant opened the door, Mrs Bryant took Clara into her arms as she began to cry and shake uncontrollably. I just stood there in shock trying to think of anything but of mum laying on floor crying and screaming but I couldn't.

"Jake come in replied Mr Bryant."

I just stood there unable to move like a total idiot.

"Jake you have to come inside."

I still couldn't move I just kept standing there then suddenly I was back in reality. I walked through the door and I could tell that Mr Bryant was extremely worried. Mrs Bryant took Scarlet up to a room where she would be sleeping.

I heard her crying and that's all I could think about crying and screaming, how could you do this, how could one person cause so much pain I thought to myself. Jason came down the stairs and Mr Bryant left knowing that Jason would be more help. Jason came up to me and gave me a hug. I didn't know what to do I couldn't decide whether to cry or to be a rock, I felt numb but so full of pain at the same time. Jason sat on the couch and I followed.

"I know you don't want to talk about it but I really am sorry that it had to come to this."

"me too I said in barely a whisper."

I finally broke down and began to cry.

"I can't stop seeing mums body on the ground just lying there crying and screaming and we left like cowards."

"you and Scarlet are not cowards, running 7km to save your mum is not being cowardice it's being strong. You did the right thing."

"I feel like I should've been able to prevent this if I had taken mum out, this all could've been prevented."

"it's not your fault Jake, none of this is your fault."

I yelled in frustration at myself and I could see that Jason was concerned.

"I'm sorry Jason, thanks for letting me and Scarlet stay with you."

"it's ok, you're welcome."

I took the stairs 2 at a time and knocked on Scarlet's door, I could still hear her crying but I could also hear the melodious voice of Mrs Bryant trying to calm her. That comforted me a little, knowing that Scarlet wasn't alone I wanted to help her to hold her close but I knew I wouldn't be able to help her if I couldn't even help myself. Scarlet had always been there for me, I mean I want to help but I didn't know how. Finally Mrs Bryant opened the door and I saw Scarlet sitting on the bed, her eyes looked lonesome and yet they still had hope. Hope that everything would be ok.

I slowly walked towards the bed and sat down next to Scarlet. She said nothing not one word, she sat there and continued to cry. The sorrow in her ran so deep and I couldn't help but wonder how deep my own sorrow ran. I could sense her feelings of hurt, anger and pain and I knew that she sensed my hurt to. I wrapped my arms around her in tight hug and she cried, letting me hold her tight. I held Scarlet until she stopped crying, she was so hurt that it pained me to see her like this. Her voice was barely audible but her words were full of pained gratitude.

"thank you Jake."

I just sat not knowing what to do next.

"I'm sorry that it had to come to this Scarlet, I really am.

"me to.

We sat there for a couple more minutes until Scarlet decided that she wanted to watch a comedy with Jason. I'm not one for comedies but I thought it might be nice to lighten the mood and to hang out with Jason so I agreed.

"Jason do you want to want to watch a comedy with us? Asked Scarlet.

"sure."

It took a while but we finally found a comedy which we all liked. It was nice to finally laugh and to feel happy. It felt like I had lost that emotion and now it was back. We laughed over and over again and I could tell that all three of us were happy. When the film finished dinner was on the table and we retreated to our seats. The food was amazing and everyone was happy talking and laughing and enjoying themselves but for some reason I just couldn't seem to find the strength to join in. I felt so alone and distant yet there were so many people who cared around me. Was it depression finally seeping in?, had I failed to be strong for Scarlet.? I wasn't sure I tried my best to smile but even that seemed to be draining me.