Chapter 21

The drive to Jasons was filled with silence nobody said a word, not one.   Sharlette's tears slowly subsided as the sun began to set.  The way she looked at the colours of the sunset intrigued me,  her eyes looked out into the distance focus not on the darkness but the colour of the setting sky.  I realized how much I was thinking and looking at her so I averted my gaze.  Liking someone wasn't something i'd ever thought about since Scarlet I mean there were good looking girls but none of which i'd like.  

Jason said nothing, when we arrived at his house we got out of the car and closed the door behind us.  He was acting really strange which is very unlike Jason.   I showed Sharlette to a room where she could have some privacy and went back downstairs to talk to Jason.  

"Jason whats up with you?"
"Nothing." he snapped with such anger in his voice I took a step back.  I've never seen him like this ever.  Instead of trying again I checked on Sharlette she was crying her eyes red and puffy.  
"Your okay Sharlette your safe now. it's okay." I said softly.  She was trying to stop the tears but they kept falling I pulled her into a tight embrace and she cried into chest.  
"thankyou." she whispered almost unaudibly.

She continnued to cry and soon fell asleep on me.  She looked so angelic when she was sleeping, with her golden brown hair that fell perfectly over her shoulders.   I waited a bit longer before gently pulling away and laying her head on the pillow. 
"Jason we should call her parents."
"No." he yelled.  I was beginning to get very sick of this. 
"Why not?"
"Because she's in foster care and she hates them." he blurted out uncontrollably. 
"We still need to call them and let them know that she's ok."
"Why it's not like they care."
"They care more than she knows."
After some more yelling I finally got the number out of Jason and I told Mrs Williams that Sharlette was staying at her cousins tonight.  she asked a few questions and making sure not to say to much i said she was upset and needed a bit of time to herself.  it took a bit of convincing but soon enough i got through.  

Sharlette came down stairs after an hour and she and I talked the rest of the night away.  we talked about our hobbies, she likes painting and i prefer sketching.  we talked about our family history but not wanting to ruin the evening we quickly moved on from that subject, talking about our favourite bands and movies.  What would become of us?....