Chapter 28

My last night in hospital, finally it was all over.  The night filled me with such dread and everytime I closed my eyes the feeling of darkness over powered me.  It was such a strong feeling some people will say it's depression but I know better.  it sounds dumb that i'm almost 15 and afraid of the dark but it's true.  

Scarlet and mum would always make jokes about the dark.  They didn't know I was afraid and of course I'd never tell them but Sharlette always knew with out me telling her.  She was my constant companion she knew when I needed her and knew when what I needed was to be alone.   

I will never forget the kindness she always showed me.  One day we will travel the world and explore new places: the sea, islands and the tallest mountains.  I promise to protect you with my life and to cherish you forever because in my heart I know that I will never let you go.  These thoughts are what kept me going, when I was afraid, scared and depressed.  Nightime grew closer and Sharlette squeezed my hand tighter.  Not once did she leave my side that night not in the screaming or the terror.  

One week later I decided to go back to school with Sharlette and maybe reconnect with some of my  old friends.  Kids could be mean but I was finally back to my normal self enjoying all my days some weren't as good as others but never again would I wish death on myself.  After scarlet passed I could barley cope but now I will live for her and hopefully when I visit her in the dream world i'll be able to show her what she missed.  

I dropped by Jasons house and then Sharlettes.  The three of us walked to school letting the gental breeze cool us.  Gently Sharlette slipped her hand into mine and we both smiled.  We walked into school and Sharlette said she'd meet me in first period.  Walking into math class was a drag but I promised not to be late on my first day back.  

Sitting down 2 minutes before class started I looked for Sharlette but she was no where to be seen. Mr.Smith called out names and students answered.
"Jake."
"Here."  Sharlette was marked absent.  As much as I hated math class it wasn't actually that horrible.  Mr.Smith was serious but not petty making him one of if not the favourite teacher of the students.  Sharlette never showed up to second period (English) either.  Finally recess came and pulling out my phone I dialled her number nothing.  She must've put it in her locker before she went off.  

The school bell rang signalling the end of the day and still Sharlette was no where.  I called her 20times today with no reply.  Searching the school grounds I heard a noise from the storage closet it was a wimper...
"Sharlette."
"Jake get me out of here now."  she said her voice choking.  She started banging on the door and screaming. 
"Sharlette it's ok i'm not leaving." 
"Get me out. please" her sobs where getting louder by the minnute making it harder to calm her. 
"how did you get in here?" 
"Caleb asked me to get some paper towl down for him and th...en he.. he pushed me in here and locked the door Jake I can't get out please don't leave me." 
"Sharlette I need you to listen verry carefully, i'm going to find caleb he's in detention i'll be right back."
"Please don..'t leave me"  her words were barely audible as her sobs drowned them out.  Running down the hall I took a left and then two rights.  Caleb was almost at the exit.  
"Caleb give me the key."
"no way." I closed the rest of the distance between us and then tripped him.  Grabbing the key I ran but Caleb was next to me in less than a second. " i'm not letting her out."
"Why." I spoke back with such anger and Caleb laughed. we were right by Sharlette now.
"Sharlette i'm here it's ok."
"Because I owe it to Scarlet to make her suffer."  Caleb pushed me against the storage room door and I dogged a bunch.  Slowly he managed to unlock the door pushing me inside.  
"Callleebbb." 
"Have fun."  I grabbed Sharlette and pulled her close.  
"It's okay."  I whispered.  She held my hand and squezzed it tight.  I turned her face towards mine her sobs got louder and lounder.  
"Sharlette focus on me.  look at me."  I cupped my hands around her face so she couldn't see to the side of her.  Slowly her head turned to face mine and she looked at me directly in the eyes.  
"That's it just keep focusing on me.  Try and imagine a green field with roses."  She cuddled closer to me and soon fell asleep on my chest.  I tried to find my phone but remembered that Caleb must've taken it.  Sharlette started to stir. 
"Shh it's ok."  brushing my hands gently across her face she soon calmed.  the room was pitch black, cramped and small.  looking around it even I started to feel slightly clostraphobic.   I had to keep my composure.  slowly I reached my left hand into my pocket and pulled out a small light. it wasn't much but it was something.  

My watch read 11:53pm it was late really late a?nd soon my eyes started to slide shut with Sharlette still leaning against my chest.  will anybody find us? it's so dark and cold. please don't let us stay here. My thoughts swirled inside my head making me go paranoid.  The light  flickered and darkness enveloped us both...