chapter 7

Jason knocked on my door and received no reply so he opened the door and crept inside. He woke me up in time for dinner and I was grateful he did. I sat down at the table next to Scarlet and she asked me how I had been. The conversation soon started around the dinner table and everyone shared a bit about there day. Everyone's day had been a bit strange and me, Jason and Scarlet agreed not to tell the adults about the park incident.

Dinner was now over and we sat on the couch looking for a movie to watch. After 10minutes we all agreed on a movie and I left half way through exhausted. I knew that if I didn't get enough sleep I wouldn't be able to concentrate in school tomorrow and I didn't want to get more poor grades. I was usually a straight A student but with everything that had been happening my grades had dropped to a C. I tried so hard to get my grades up but I just couldn't do it. I fell asleep rather quickly and for the first time in a really long time I dreamt about the fun times in life and the things that me smile. I dreamt about the times before our parents died and about all the times and places they took us on holidays. It was a pleasant night for me and I woke up exhilarated.

I was now awake and heading down stairs to get breakfast it was 7:45 and Scarlet wasn't at the table as I expected. Jason was their eating breakfast but no Scarlet.

"hi Jake

"Hey Jason, have you seen Scarlet?

"no maybe she's still in bed.

"well school starts soon so I'm gonna go wake her up.

"ok.

I left the kitchen and knocked on Scarlet's door, no reply, I thought she would've been up already. I knocked once more but received no answer so I opened the door and poked my head through the crack but when I looked around Scarlet was nowhere to be seen.

I rushed back to the kitchen and asked Jason if he'd seen Scarlet but he said no.

"I've looked all around the house and I can't find her Jason."

"I've looked everywhere I could think of as well."

"should we try the park?, maybe she went for a walk before school.

"ok, let's go.

We went to the park but she wasn't there and when me and Jason rushed into the house we had a very confused Mrs Bryant.

"what are you two doing out before school?

"Mrs Bryant I can't find Scarlet she wasn't in her room or in the house so me and Jason checked the park but she wasn't there.

Mrs Bryant now had a very concerned expression on her face and I knew that something had been hidden from me. I stood there in anticipation waiting for what could possibly be wrong. I looked at Mrs Bryant and she averted her gaze from mine.

That's weird what could be so wrong that she can't even look me in the eye.

Mrs Bryant took a deep breath and turned to face me or rather I turned to face her. She looked me straight in the eyes and the look she gave left me frozen.

"Scarlet came to me last night at around...1am

"Why was she up that late?

"please Jake let me finish. She looked like she'd been crying so we went to the living room and talked, she said that because of how your foster dad reacted that it's very possible you might be split up into different homes and she doesn't want that."

Jason was just standing there not sure what to do.

"well neither do I but do you know where Scarlet is or not?

I replied with such anger in my voice, I wasn't mad at her or Scarlet I was mad at our foster dad I mean how can one person cause so much pain.

"no Jake I made sure she went to bed and then I left back to my room. Do you know what she usually does when she's really upset?"

"I've never seen her this upset so no, she might cry herself to sleep but I often see her with a knife around her neck at least I remember seeing it when we went to the police station but I thought it was just to make her feel safe after what we'd just experienced."

My eyes grew dim as I realized what I'd just said and worst of all I knew it was true.