chapter 5

It was driving me mad and I was constantly worrying about Scarlet. It was 5am and I didn't want to go back to bed so instead I decided to listen to Twenty-one Pilots. It took me a while but after listening to a few songs I finally felt relaxed. It was 6:30am when I walked downstairs to get some breakfast, Jason was up and sitting on the couch when he saw me.

"hi."

"oh hi Jason."

"Jake are you ok you look exhausted?.

"I didn't sleep well that's all."

I could see Jason looking at me with concern but I didn't care, I was hungry and tired, all I wanted to do was have one night of peace. Scarlet was in the kitchen at 8am and I looked at her, stunned. She also looked exhausted and yet she had a big smile on her face.

"good morning Jason and Jake."

Me and Jason looked at each other in confusion. She was acting way to cheerful.

"good morning Scarlet" replied Jason sceptically.

"good morning Scarlet."

She looked at me and I could tell she was guessing that something was wrong but she kept her mouth shut as soon as I gave her the death stair.

We got breakfast and then headed out to the park, it was a cold winters day but not freezing. After ten minutes of walking we arrived at the park and Scarlet went to go climb a tree. Me and Jason sat on a bench and I couldn't stop scanning the area, it was like I was expecting something or someone to be there.

"Jake are you ok?."

"yeah I'm fine."

I fought the urge to scan the area and instead I looked at Jason, we were talking about our favourite band Twenty-one Pilots. I was beginning to lose it and I scanned the area one more time only to see a man at the foot of Scarlet's tree.

"Scarlet be careful" I yelled.

"okay."

I turned to Jason once more and we picked up our conversation talking about what songs we liked the best and what sport we liked.

I heard Scarlet scream and I turned around in horror. The man was climbing up the tree and he grabbed Scarlet's foot, she screamed once more and me and Jason ran over.

"Scarlet be careful" I yelled.

She looked at me and I could tell she was scared. She started climbing up the tree higher and higher with the man close behind. She climbed until the branches swayed under her weight. The man chasing after realized what she was doing and he soon had to stop climbing for the fear of the branches snapping underneath his weight.

Jason called the police and explained the situation while I tried to take a picture of the man so that the police could identify him. I got one clear picture and the man began to climb down the tree. The police arrested the man and Scarlet began to climb the tree slowly. Scarlet only realized how high up she was when she began to climb down.

"Scarlet are you ok?" I asked

Jason was right behind me and asking the same question.

"I'm ok, just a little weirded out."