ch.12

broken

me and daryl clung to each other for support, slowly making our way toward the small plot of land.

when we made it to land, my eyes shifted to the arrow still in his side. he reached down, about to pull it out, only to get scolded by me.

"no, don't! here let me help you" i stated, looking around for any supplies, but was out of luck. i looked at my long sleeves, soon afterwards ripping them off my arms, leaving me in a tank top.

i knotted the two sides together, wrapping it around his body and the arrow, making it so it didn't move.

"if we get home, i'll pull it out, and stitch you up. i can't risk pulling it out while we're stranded like this"

he nodded, moving his eyes away from mine and to the steep hillside. "stay here, i'm gonna go search for my bow"

i gave him concerned eyes, pointing to his wound, "what? no. i told you it'll get infected"

he rolled his eyes, "that's one of my last worries right now"

i opened my mouth to talk, but he had already jumped back into the water. i couldn't even go and help.

after awhile he returned with his bow, and a long stick. "okay, strap this over your shoulders" he instructed, handing me his crossbow.

i obeyed, placing it on my back, looking up to him. he reached out his hand for me to grab, which i did, making sure that i didn't make my ankle worse as he pulled me to my feet.

"hop on."

my eyes widened, grabbing his shoulder so he could face me, "no, i'll risk hitting your arrow"

he yanked his arm away from my grip, staring deep into my soul, "enough with the risks, it's life or death now."

i hesitated before nodding, hopping onto his back, avoiding the arrow as much as i could.

i watched as he started climbing the hillside, using the long stick he found for support.

we got up so far, only for daryl to grab the wrong branch, sending us flying off the hill again.

this time, the fall knocked the wind out of me, causing my body to tremble. i wheezed, unable to catch my breath.

i slowly started to take deep breaths, trying to get my breathing under control. "da-daryl" i uttered, holding back tears from the amount of pain i was in.

i didn't get an answer, causing me to turn and look to where he laid. i quickly put myself together, crawling to where he was, unconscious.

"daryl, come one" i whimpered, shaking his body. a growl caught my attention as i turned, seeing a lone walker, stumbling near me.

i crawled away from daryl, leading it away from him, getting out my knife during the process.

he tripped over his feet, launching himself towards me, pinning my arms to the ground. grunts and whimpers escaped my mouth as i fought him off, finally taking my chance to nail him in the head.

i let out a sigh, pushing the lifeless body off of me and to the side. my eyes slowly shifting back to where daryl was.

the relief didn't last long as another walker appeared, gnawing on daryls shoes.

"daryl! wake up!" i shouted, watching his eyes flutter open, realizing his situation.

he slid himself back up against the hillside, smacking it in the face with his foot . i knew it was already too late to crawl and help him.