Acceptance

Braelynn

I wake up in my bed and head downstairs to the kitchen. My guard follows me from outside my door all the way to the kitchen. I am eighteen and this is really pissing me off. I can take care of myself. Pa, my dad's dad, has been training me to fight in secret. He says he got some of his technique from Brae. I really miss her, I remember having so much fun with her. Brae was an Alpha which is unheard of for a girl and I strive to be like her.

Pa has been checking the mail everyday for me to check for my acceptance letter for the physical training. Pa has been very supportive and he said he won't speak a word to Mom or Dad. Pa is a black wolf and he is amazing! I wish I had special powers, but I will not take the risk of killing myself for them.

I make it to the kitchen and grab bread and peanut butter. After toasting the bread, I smear the peanut butter on it and sit at the island to eat. My guard, Dominic, is standing right behind me and it is irritating.

I turn to look at him in the eye, "Do you mind? I hate the hovering, you don't have to stand as close to me as possible at all times you know."

"Sorry Princess," Dominic bows his head slightly before stepping back to the entrance of the kitchen.

I roll my eyes, I hate being called princess. I wish I could be normal with normal parents where I can do whatever I want. Pa comes walking in and tells Dominic to give them a minute. Dominic leaves the room and Pa comes over to me, giving me a kiss on the forehead.

"Hey Pa, how are you?"

"I'm good. I am sure you are going to feel great though," he says while smiling.

"Did it come in?"

He nods and hands me a letter. I rip it open and starts reading. I squeal and jump up to hug Pa.

"I got in!" I whisper in his ear so no one will hear.

"I'm so proud of you. When do you have to be at physicals?"

I let him go and read over the last part of the letter. Shit. I only have two days to get to the base that is at least a days drive away.

"Two days, can you help me get there? You know Dad won't let me go anywhere by myself. We can have some Pa and Braelynn time."

"Of course, go pack after you finish your breakfast."

I finish my toast and shove the letter in the back pocket of my jeans to be sure no one will see it. I rush to my room, taking the stairs three at a time. When I gave my application for the army, I changed my name to Noctis Kilo after Brae's wolf.

I start shoving training clothes and a few casual clothes in my duffle bag. In another duffle bag I put in running shoes, jackets, and toilet trees. I bring them to the front door and I hear Dad from behind me.

"Where are you going young lady?"

"I'm going on a trip with Pa, Dad. Calm down, I know I couldn't just waltz out of here without you knowing."

"I am just doing this to keep you safe. I don't need another person dying in me. I have had enough of that in my lifetime."

"I know Dad," I groan.

"I will get Luke and your mom to say goodbye. Don't go anywhere."

He leaves and comes back in a couple minutes with Mom and my brother, Luke. Luke has all the freedom he wants and he is the one next in line for Alpha King. If anything, he should be the one on high security.

"You are leaving? We didn't know you and Jack had plans," Mom says.

"I know, we forgot to tell you because we were so excited. Sorry Mom."

"It's okay sweetie, I hope you have fun with Jack. I know he will take good care of you."

I get a big hug from Mom and Dad. I see Pa heading to us, to save me from this little family goodbye.

"Pa, we should get going, right?" I plead.

"Yes we should, I don't want to be driving all night," Pa smiles.

"Where are you both going?" Dad wonders.

I look to Pa and he says, "It is a surprise. She has been bugging me the last two days and I am not giving it up now."

"Okay, you two go have some fun and we will see you when you get back," Mom tells us.

I look to Luke and I can tell he knows I am up to something. I give him a look to be quiet, but as always he is a little bitch. He believes that I should be on lockdown just like Dad does. Ever since this, we haven't really gotten along. I remember when we were kids, we were attached at the hip.

"Why such a rash decision to go in a trip?" Luke questions.

"It wasn't rash, I will take Braelynn on a little trip. She is eighteen and deserves to seek out her mate. Unlike some people, she hasn't met hers yet," Pa spits at Luke, shutting him right up.

I see what Pa is doing. Luke had found his mate when he turned sixteen. She turned out to be a a really shy girl from school. She is from a neighbouring pack. Many kids picked on her, including Luke. Once Luke turned sixteen and found out that the "nerd" was his mate. He rejected her in front of a bunch of people and now she left her pack to become rogue. She hated being bullied and that was the last straw for her. Luke reminds me of Jake, Brae's tormentor. I know most of her story because Pa would always tell me. Luke doesn't understand that bullying someone can lead to their death.

Mom and Dad thinks Luke is still looking for his mate. They don't know that he rejected her. Dad would be furious because Luke didn't cherish his chance at happiness. Luke says his second chance will be beautiful and worth his time. I hope the Moon Goddess doesn't give him a second chance, he doesn't deserve it.

I head out to Pa's truck and throw my bags on the back seat. Pa packed two bags as well to look the part of going on a trip. We drive off and I feel like I can breathe for the first time in years knowing I won't have to come back here if I never want to. Pa gives me a card with his phone number on it so I can call him when I have a phone.

We drive for hours in silence, the only noise is the sound of the radio. We pull into a motel parking lot and Pa gets us a room. We take out bags inside and get ready to sleep. I feel wide awake in anticipation for tomorrow. Pa comes out of the bathroom in his pyjamas and he walks over to my bed, sitting next to me.

"I got you something."

"Pa, you didn't have to get me anything, really."

"No I wanted to get you this. Here," Pa passes me a little red box with a white bow on top of it.

I open the box and I see a pendant. It is a Nordic wolf with runes surrounding it. The pendant is no bigger than a quarter and it is absolutely beautiful.

"It is amazing Pa, thank you so much!" I embrace him in a tight hug.

He hugs me back, "Anytime Braelynn. It is a good luck charm for you to keep you safe overseas."

"I will keep it on me at all times. Thank you," I smile wide at him. He is probably my favourite person on earth.

"You need to get some rest, you have a big day tomorrow," Pa tells me and kisses me in the forehead before tucking himself into his bed.

Tomorrow is the beginning of my new life.