Discharged

Noctis

My head pounds against my skull as I open my eyes in the bright room. I squint, trying to make out my surroundings. I see a bunch of cots with a lot of people injured and laying in them. I see army doctors all over. I am in a Medical Tent. That memories flood back to me...I was in an explosion. Is my platoon okay? I look around to find someone to talk to and I see a doctor rushing over to me. I sit up in my bed, ignoring the searing pain from my body.

"Lieutenant, you have to rest. Please lay back down," the doctor insists and I shake my head to which I regret doing.

"My platoon," my voice comes out raspy.

"I'm sorry Lieutenant, but only one made it out alive. He has been honourably discharged and is back in the United States."

"Who?"

"Private Tobias Brach."

I nod my head slowly. I can't believe almost my whole platoon is dead. Those bastard rogues. "When can I leave here and get back out on the field?" I ask.

"The sergeant major is in his way to talk with you about that. For now, please try not to move so much so your stitches won't come undone."

I furrow my eyebrows, stitches? I should have healed once they removed whatever I was blasted with.

"What are my injuries?" I ask the doc.

"You have a piece of metal shrapnel embedded in you right leg and in your left rib. There is a bullet that we removed from your left shoulder as well. There are other injuries that we were able to remove the shrapnel from."

"What kind of metal?"

"Silver."

Fuck. My wounds will heal like a human with the silver embedded in my bone. I will probably have bad scaring from other injuries due to the silver slowing down my healing. The doc leaves to tend to another patient and I look around for any familiar faces. I don't recognize anyone and I decide to lean my head against the wall and close my eyes.

"Lieutenant Kilo," I hear a mans strong voice say from beside me. He is a werewolf.

I open my eyes and look at him, "That is me."

He holds out a hand, "I am Sergeant Major Jones, sorry we had to meet under such unfortunate circumstances."

I nod and shake his hand, "Nice to meet you. When can I get back out on the battle field?"

"I'm sorry to break it to you Lieutenant, but you have been honourably discharged from the army until you are fully healed and prepared to come back."

I look down, "I guess I understand. Where am I going to go?" I whisper the last part.

"Do you have a pack back home?" Sergeant Jones whispers to me.

"Not really, I left a year ago."

"Sorry to hear that. I can set you up somewhere to stay if you would like. I have connections in the US."

"It's okay, I will find a place to stay. Thank you Sergeant Jones. Can you do me a favour?"

"Of course."

"Can you tell me where Xander Roberts is? He is like family to me and I want to know if he is still out there or if he went home."

The sergeant nods and then leaves the tens for a few minutes before walking back in. "He has gone back home after receiving the aftershock of the bomb. He got a bullet lodged in his shoulder."

"Thank you. Would I be able to have his number? I had it written down in my jacket, but I am guessing it is no longer there."

"Here," he hands me a piece of paper with a number written on it.