Invitation

Noctis

I am in the change room, getting ready for gym glass. I put on my spandex bike shirts and a muscle shirt. I walk out back into the field where class takes place. I walk over to the group of students and stand in the back.

"Alright class, we have a new student today. Please come forward."

I roll eyes and walk forward. The teacher tells me to introduce myself and I tell them my name is Noctis. Once that word leaves my mouth, they all start whispering. I guess they heard what happened in home room. The teacher tells me to call him Coach and then he breaks us up into pairs. I am the odd one out and Coach tells me to watch for today. I can tell he doesn't think I can handle this fight. Is he blind? Doesn't he see my battle scars?

I walk around as I study how everyone fights. No one I see is good at fighting. They are sloppy and have too many weaknesses. I then see that kid fighting with another boy. They are both decent fighters. I decide to watch how this fight pans out. The stalker guy is dodging most of the other guys attacks.

"Left side!" I shout to the one guy.

They guy hits the stalker hard in the left ribs causing the stalks dude to stumble. The one guy takes advantage of this and tackles him to the ground. He puts his hand around the stalkers throat and elongates his claw, waiting for him to tap out. After struggling, stalker double taps the other guys arm. The one guy look triumphant and very happy. He look around before spotting me. He runs over.

"Thanks for the tip! I'm River," he holds out a hand.

"Noctis," I say while shaking his hand.

The stalk guys walks up to us looking angry and jealous. "Why are you talking with him?"

I am confused, "What? I can't talk to a guy?"

"Yes...I mean no...I mean why do you talk with him and not me?"

"Well, let's see..." I tap my chin for effect, "You barged into my classroom sending me into an oh so great memory," note the sarcasm. "Then you keep pushing to talk with me and I really don't want to talk with you. Can't you take a hint?"

He looks really sad and River gives him a questioning look before they both mindlink each other. After they finish mindlinking, River looks shocked with a hint of anger and sadness.

"What?" I question in a monotone voice.

"Nothing," River says before they both walk away.

Those two are so weird, I wonder why they are acting like that. I roll my eyes and grab my bag from the bleachers. After changing, the bell rings and I walk out of the school towards the parking lot since it is fast walking that way to get to the grocery store. As I walk by, everyone stares at me and whispers.

"Stop fucking whispering. If you have something to say, say it to my face," I tell the group in an annoyed voice.

They all go silent and then turn around going back to their original conversations. I continue walking past them and head to the sidewalk. After a few minutes, a car pulls up beside me and rolls down the window. I just continue walking, ignoring the car.

"Noctis!" A man shouts.

"What!?" I shout back while I continue to walk.

"Wanna ride?" The man asks.

I turn to see River in the drivers' seat. I mean, at least it isn't stalker guy. "Why?" I ask.

"I don't know, just trying to be nice."

"Okay," I sigh.

I open the passenger side door and sit in his car. It is so comfortable. He starts driving off in the direction I was walking.