Pain

Noctis

I am sticking very close to Xander throughout the party. I don't know anyone else here except for River and Orion. I hope Xander doesn't stay for the whole party because I really don't want to walk home through this territory. I don't want to make enemies after being back for a week. Xander walks up to a man, not too much older than we are.

"Noctis, this is the soon-to-be alpha of my pack. His name is Altor."

"Nice to meet you Noctis."

"Likewise," I say as we shake hands.

"I heard you were in Iraq with Xander. Good for you. I think more she-wolves should go out and do what they want," Altor tells me.

"I agree with you. I think we could get along quite well," I grin.

"Dido. What platoon were you with?"

"Special Ops Platoon 1."

"Wow. I heard from a buddy of mine that that platoon was doing really well since they got their new lieutenant. He was so sad to have to discharge her. How did you like your lieutenant?"

I look to Xander and stifle a laugh, "She was really great. Strong, smart, sexy. The whole package." Once I finished my sentence Xander bursts out laughing.

"Don't be disrespectful Xander. She is probably bedridden right now with her injuries," Altor scolds and Xander laughs harder.

"Oh no, she isn't bedridden. She is going to school to graduate and she is actually at a party right now," I tell Altor.

I give me a confused look, "Really? I heard about her injuries. I find that hard to believe."

"You seem to know a lot about the platoon. Did you know there was only one girl in it?"

"No, actually, I didn't kn..." he pauses as he finally puts the pieces together and both Xander and I start laughing hysterically.

"Took you a minute there Altor," Xander says as his laughter calms down.

"Shut up Xander," Altor says and turns to me, "I am surprised you are still standing. I am sorry about your platoon, that must have been hard."

"It is, but I will push past it. It was nice meeting you Altor, but I am going to have to excuse myself to go find the bathroom," I say.

I unhook my arm from Xander's and take a deep breath as I move away from him. I walk down a hallway, checking every door along the way looking for a washroom. After two minutes I finally find on and do my business. I walk back out to the party and look for Xander. I push throw people and I can't seem to find him. I hear a Big Bang not far from me and it startles me.

I am running from a grenade with a bullet in my shoulder. Those damn rogues have fire power. I keep running and running through the open field until I trip and fall to the ground. I turn over and the grenade lands not far from me. I scramble to my feet and run my fastest. I fall from the blast of the grenade detonating.

I feel someone shake my shoulders and I look up through tears eyes to see an older woman I don't recognize. I look around myself and realize I am at the party. That was a memory. I was only in the army for two months when that happened. I was so lucky there was no silver in the grenade.

"Are you okay dear?" the woman asks.

I look at her and it takes me a minute to respond, "I'm fine. Sorry."

I stand up and the lady looks at me wearily, "You don't seem fine. Come on, follow me to the kitchen."

I follow her from the back of the pack house where the part is to the kitchen. The kitchen is magnificent just like everything else in this pack house.