Goodbyes

Noctis

What is he doing here and why isn't anyone attacking him? My mate is a rogue! How is he just standing there, staring at me?

"Come again?" Josh speaks.

"She's my mate," the man repeats.

I still can't find the words to speak so I do the next thing I can think of. Run. I run inside and all the way up to my room. I lock the door and sit on my bed, calming my breathing. After a few minutes, I stand up from my bed and walk over to the bathroom. I take a twenty minute hot shower and most of the time I just stand there, soaking up what just happened. I get out of the shower with a warm, fluffy towel and my phone buzzes on the counter. I pick it up.

"Lieutenant Noctis Kilo," I say into the speaker.

"Lieutenant Kilo, we have word of the rogues that have moved to Iran. I need your platoon leaving England as soon as possible," Sergeant Ross tells me.

"We will leave in an hour," I hang up the phone and change into my uniform. The humans in the military believe that rogues are the name given to the group of people who are attacking soldiers.

I put on my black t-shirt, camouflage pants, camouflage jacket and my khaki coloured combat boots. I shove the rest of my stuff in my duffle bag and fix my hair in the ponytail. I sling my duffle bag over my shoulder and head out to find my platoon. Thank goddess I don't have to deal with this mate thing right now. I know it sounds horrible, but I would rather run then face another possible rejection.

I walk downstairs and follow their scent to the kitchen. I walk into to see most of the pack sitting at the dining table eating lunch. This may have been a mistake. My eyes pass over my mate, who is surprisingly still here, and find my platoon near the end of the table. I walk to them and lean in close.

"We have to go, Sergeant Ross called. You have one hour before we leave," I tell them in a low voice. They all nod and get up from their seats to change and pack.

"You guys are leaving?" Quinton asks from the other side of the table.

"Yes. Thank you for your hospitality Alpha Quinton. If you ever need any help, you have my number," I let him know in a serious tone.

He nods and Luna Blair says goodbye. I walk to the front door of the pack house while I wait for my platoon. I hear footsteps approaching me and by the intoxicating smell, it's him. I turn to see him standing about six feet away from me, looking sad.

"Where are you going?" He asks.

"To track the rogues," I reply.

"Why do you have to go? Don't you want to stay here....with me?" He pleads.

"I can't leave my platoon, I have a duty to serve and that is exactly what I am going to do," I respond.

"I-I guess I understand. Are you...I mean are we..." he sighs, "Are you rejecting me?" He asks, sorrow in his voice.

I am shocked, "No, I am not. I just can't be tied down right now, I need to live my life while I still can. We can keep in touch if you want, Quinton has my cell number," I look behind him to see my platoon coming towards us. "I have to go. It was nice meeting you...um..."

"Right, my name is Ash," he holds out a hand.

I don't shake his hand because it will hurt me more to leave him, "Noctis."

I turn and leave out the front door with my team following close behind. We are going to have to shift to get to where we are going because it is so far. I turn to see Ash looking at me from the doorway. No one else is around. My team is looking to me and I nod, telling them to go and I will catch up. Ash salutes me causing me to laugh and I salute him right before I shift into Amara. I look up to see him with his jaw open wide and love in his eyes. I smirk before running off to catch up with my platoon. I get to them and they all look at me with shock. This is the first time they have seen my wolf.