Physical Training

Braelynn/Noctis

Pa dropped me off at the army base and I am getting settled in. All the trainees stay together in one last room with many cots. Everything here is coed with very little privacy. So far there is only me here that is a werewolf.

Sergeant Ross comes down and claps his hands together to grab all of our attention. Everyone's head snaps towards the sound and we stand at attention.

"At 13:00 hours, everyone be on the training field."

The sergeant walks alway and I check my watch. It is 12:45 right now. I take off my shirt and pants to get into uniform. I lace up my combat boots and tie my hair into a high ponytail. I walk out of the room with a couple of the guys as well all head to the training grounds.

"Mike Larson," one of the guys introduces himself and holds out a hand.

"Noctis Kilo," I shake his hand.

"Noctis? That's a different kind of name," Mike comments.

"I know, what's your name?" I ask as I turn towards the other guy and I stick out my hand.

"Malakai Wilson, but everyone calls me Kai," he says, shaking my hand.

"Nice to meet you guys. Do either of you know how long we are trainees for?"

"Until you pass the qualifications. There are timed runs, obstacle courses and weapon firing. Then of course there is hand to hand combat."

"Doesn't sound too hard," I shrug.

"Doesn't sound too..." Kai laughs, "It is one of the hardest things a person can go through."

I hold myself back from rolling my eyes. In the supernatural world, there are a lot worse things that this. I hope I won't have to spend more than a couple months here. I want to get out onto the battle field to fight.

We get to the training field with eight minutes to spare. Other than the sergeant, we are the only ones here. We take our spots on the grass to await instructions. The rest of the group comes out in a big clump and takes their spots.

"Tell me. When you are out in the battlefield, do you want your team to be watching your back or being late to the fight?!" Sergeant Ross shouts. No one replies, we all stand at attentions waiting for him to continue, "All but three of your were late to the field! You all came out to the field at 13:02 hours. That is not acceptable," he yells at the group.

He tells everyone that they will have to stay back two hours after training is supposed to end due to their tardiness. The sergeant exempts Kai, Mike and myself from those two hours. We start off with a timed run and the run is only ten miles. I take the lead and finish far ahead of everyone else at five minutes 23 seconds.

"That is a great time, Kilo. I think it is the second best time this base has seen," Sergeant Ross tells me.

"Second best? What time do I have to beat for first?"

"A guy we had here a year ago set the new record. He ran ten miles in five minutes seven seconds."

"Challenge accepted."

I wait for the other guys to finish. Most of the guys are in the front with two or three girls. The second place person is Mike and he came in at eight minutes seventeen seconds.

"Geez Kilo, how did you finish so fast?" Mike asks and Kai nods meaning he wants to know too.

"I told you guys that the training seemed easy. I will be out of here in no time," I smirk.