(22) Sitting Ducks

A month and a half had gone by since Leann had died. She died and was gone, out of my life. I could tell she was dead too because I had the overwhelming feeling to go kill myself. There was no reason for me to live without my other half. Without her my world meant nothing at all, and I probably would have gone off and done it had I not decided I was going to kill that fucking monster for what he had done first. I knew she was dead though, I could feel it deep in the pit of my stomach.

I looked up when I heard a knock at the door. "Come in." My mother walked in then with a large plate of food. This was a routine for us, three times a day every day. And she knew every time she brought it up I wouldn't eat it, yet she still did it.

"Sweetheart will you please eat something? You know its what she would want you to do. Honey she wouldn't want you to become weak, you and me both know that. You are the alpha of this pack, you need to stay strong for everyone in it, including her.

"But mom its hard to stay strong..." My voice became a whisper, "What if she never wakes up?" This was a conversation we had everyday and each time I never left it feeling any better about myself. My mother would leave like she just did, in tears, and more shaken up each time than she was before.

'Thomas and Seth get your asses in here now.' I thought it in my deepest alpha tone. Since Leann got bit by that psycho I had been running a much tighter ship around here. Everyone respected me as their alpha and never questioned my authority. Never did I ever think that I would become one of those alphas everyone talks about. Sure they were known for being the greatest alphas. Like I now was for all of Northern America, but you also got the reputation of a hard ass who is extremely strict and doesn't have a life outside of his pack.

I had training equipment moved into my office shortly after that dreadful day. I had gained about twenty extra pounds of muscle in the short month and a half since I saw my beautiful mates sparkling blue eyes the last time. And every one else in the pack had put on about ten, due to my own demands. Never again would we be out powered by one single wolf. Never again would I let my feelings for a friend distract me from saving the one thing that meant everything to me.

Even though my parents did not agree with my decision and had tried to stop me I had kept Kyle alive. My mother was all for that part but she did not agree to what I was doing to him. Every day Leann's eyes were still closed I would torture him that much more. At first it was difficult to stick with this plan because he was my best friend and I loved him. But every day it got easier and easier, knowing that he was the reason I couldn't do something as simple as talk to the girl I loved. He was paying for his stupid mistake, and even though I hated him I hadn't decided if I would kill him or not yet. Sure I hated his fucking guts, but since he had bit Leann as well, I wasn't sure if she would feel the bond with him when she woke up. If she woke up...And for that reason alone I let that useless piece of trash keep his life.

'If you two aren't in here in less than ten seconds I will kill you both!' And within two seconds they were both standing in front of me nervously. "Stay with Leann, and if anything fucking happens to her...lets just say you will both be out with Kyle." They both visibly shook just with the thought of that. I was not a very violent person, but if you mess with my mate lets just say I would make your life hell.

"Yes alpha." Before all of this had happened I would have never made any of them call me by my title, I used to hate it. But now I was all about the rules and enforcing them. I had a new beta and omega. Not that I trusted either of them. And it wasn't even because they were Thomas and Seth. It was just due to the fact that I no longer trusted anyone. How could I? My own best friend had betrayed me. He had killed my mate happily. And he did it just to piss me off. And thank the dear lord almighty that he wasn't ready to take my beautiful angel. God gave her back to me after three extremely long minutes, and I was thankful every day that he had.