(4) Make it quick!

Leann POV

I could tell that he was going somewhere even though he had lied and said he wasn't. I did not understand how someone that I barely know could intrigue me so much. He was not the first "sibling" I had had that did not like me. Yet, he was the first that I really wanted to like me. He seemed to be in a huge hurry and that only made me more interested in what he was doing. So, I decided right then and there to follow the man.

I never was any good at sneaking around. Any time I took a step there was a seventy five percent chance that I would end up flat faced on the ground. From what I had seen Liam was very intense. Every time that I was within close proximity to him his jaw would clench, his eyes would squint, and he would start doing things more aggressively. It seems as if he could read my mind because he slammed the door at that very second.

If I was going to follow him I needed to be quick about it. I was wearing my pajamas, which would not be the most presentable thing if I ran into someone but I had no other choice. Luckily I had thrown everything that I owned across the bed that I was borrowing from the Towns and my sneakers and baggy sweatshirt were on top. I only had time to slide my feet into the sneakers before I needed to run down the stairs to catch up with him. I was hoping that we would not be outside for to terribly long because Willa seemed to get cold and my PJs would not do it.

There was absolutely no reason for me to be so interested in what he was doing. I should have been upstairs unpacking my few belonging but instead I was out in the cold trying to follow someone that I could no longer see. In fact, he was nowhere to be seen as soon as I opened the door. Even with lightning speed there should have been no way for him to be out of sight so quickly. There was utterly nothing around but trees and dirt and he had some how managed to disappear.

I decided to throw the sweatshirt on over my head because it was even colder than I imagined it would be. There was no way I would have time to go back up stairs and put on different clothes though because I would lose him for sure. Although going back inside where it was just a little bit warmer was probably the smarter plan. The Town's kept there house incredibly cold and from what I saw kept their windows open 24/7. With my arms tightly tucked around my chest I took my first step into the dark woods.

My grandfather had always said that getting into the woods was easy but getting out was impossible because everything looked the same. He had been a mountain man in his prime, so I should have believed him. However, my sense of direction had always been relatively above average. I had never stuck foot into the woods before this day but I figured finding my way around Willa's largest forest would be no more difficult than a busy shopping center.

Liam should have been relatively easy to find since the idiot was shirtless in forty-five degree weather. However it didn't seem to matter where I looked he was nowhere to be found. Of course as soon as I thought that I heard something rustling to my left. I couldn't stop my head from whipping to the left, only to see that there was nothing there. It was starting to get dark and the woods were a lot creeper than I could have ever imagined. Civilization was completely out of the question as I looked around yet again at the sound of something that wasn't there.

I was just about to turn around and try to maneuver my way back to the house but then figured the noise might be Liam trying to mess with me. Sure, he didn't know me and had no reason to mess with me like that. But, maybe he had caught onto the fact that I was following him and was trying to shake me. Thinking about Liam made me smirk a little and that was enough to send me in the opposite direction of the house. It was important to me that he saw I was not someone he could mess with.

It occurred to me then that I had not told anyone where I was going and I had no form of communication with me. I wasn't fond of having a cell phone because they were expensive and hard to keep track of when one moved as often as I did. The only person I ever had in my contacts was Jim anyways. However, he wasn't someone that I needed to talk to on a regular basis, so he was never actually programed into any of my phones.